Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the best electric you have ever played that costs less than $300 new

What electric have you played that when it was new.....could be bought for $300 or less at that time?

Have to be a Squier of some sort.  Maximum bang for the buck.

"Prayer is when you talk to God. Meditation is when you're listening. Playing the piano ['guitar'] allows you to do both at the same time." -Kelsey Grammer

Comment

• Pine Apple Slim
      Pine Apple Slim commented
      Editing a comment
      I owned a 51 ES125 with the original receipt for $125.00.
      I paid $300 for it sometime in the 90s.

You could buy a Strat in 1960 for $299.

Just sayin.

Comment

Hmmm... My Epi G400 was bought for $299 new, and I think it's pretty good.
      Guitars: 3 Fender Strats, Fender Jazzmaster, Squier Bullet, 2 Gibson Les Pauls, Gibson ES-339, Gibson Les Paul Jr. Special, Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone Dot, Epiphone SG, PRS SE Custom 24, Ibanez AS73, Hamer Duotone, Larrivee D-03R, Takamine EG5013S, 1951 Epiphone Devon, Ibanez SR305 (bass)Pedal Chain: BBE Green Screamer -> MXR Distortion III -> Boss CE-5 -> EH Stereo Pulsar -> Boss DD-20 -> BBE Boosta GrandeAmps: Vox AC4, AC15, AC30, Pathfinder 10, DA5SoundCloud

Comment

• Marko
        Marko commented
        Editing a comment

Years ago, some will remember, when overstock.com had higher-end (at the time) satin-series strats for ~$100 and coupons on top of that.

I got a nice HH crimson satin strat for ~$115, still have it with EB 9-46s and it

A buddy's '65 Strat. I imagine it was around $300 in '65. Best guitar I've ever played.

Comment

• gardo
        gardo commented
        Editing a comment

Do you mean $300 back in the day or in recent history?  In recent history I would pick the Xaviere XV 900 that was delivered to my door in a hard case for under $300 last year. This is my number one guitar and it gets played almost everyday. I like it even more than the vintage Gretsch I once owned.

The Sterling EBMM Silhouette copy - consistently impresses me.  Great necks.

a/c- EBMM Albert Lee SSS - Sky Blue- Kramer 'Wedge' aluminum neck - Red- Two-Rock Exo15 - Black/grey- Suhr Riot- Emperor 2x12/1x15 cabinet - Walnut/silver grille

Comment

All the vintage guitar answers are clearly cheating. Online inflation calculators put a $300 guitar in 1965 at custom shopprices these days.
        Guitars: 3 Fender Strats, Fender Jazzmaster, Squier Bullet, 2 Gibson Les Pauls, Gibson ES-339, Gibson Les Paul Jr. Special, Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone Dot, Epiphone SG, PRS SE Custom 24, Ibanez AS73, Hamer Duotone, Larrivee D-03R, Takamine EG5013S, 1951 Epiphone Devon, Ibanez SR305 (bass)Pedal Chain: BBE Green Screamer -> MXR Distortion III -> Boss CE-5 -> EH Stereo Pulsar -> Boss DD-20 -> BBE Boosta GrandeAmps: Vox AC4, AC15, AC30, Pathfinder 10, DA5SoundCloud

Comment

• american sinner
          american sinner commented
          Editing a comment

My Epiphone Dot Studio was $299. Granted I changed the pickups, electronics, and had it plek'd, but it played well when I got it. Now it sounds good too and has perfect action. 

Washburn WI64D - lightweight, sounds good, Buzz Feiten Tuning System - $199 new.

DeArmond JetStar - heavy, but I like the GoldTone pickups - $169 new n the Save The Music promotion a few years back.

Danelectro Hodad - four lipstick pickups arranged as two humbuckers - $99 new as a closeout, I also bought a Hodad bass for the same price.

Dexter fans, check out The DexterCast podcast on iTunes or www.thedextercast.com. Two hosts have seen Dexter, two are watching for the first time.

Comment

Hmm... I've got a few that fit into the criteria.  HOWEVER, they were all on sale/ closeout for a good bit less than their normal retail prices, fwiw.

MIK Washburn WV40 'Vindicator' - Phenolic fretboard, Buzz Feiten tuning, name-brand pickups & hardware: got it for under $200:

WV40

Kramer 'NightRider' (also MIK) - ~$220:

K

First Act Sheena CE240 - under $100 (though I think that normal retail price was around $300):

FA

Attached Files

Comment

Easily my office bound Vintage VS6MA

MA

Attached Files
            Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. - Plato

Comment

• MDLMUSIC
              MDLMUSIC commented
              Editing a comment
              I don't currently own any guitars that cost over $100, although in the past I've owned aTele, a Hagstrom Swede, and a bunch of other guitars I'm too old to remember. My main gigging guitar is my Dean Vendetta XM purchased new from GC for $99 a few years ago. Extremely lightweight, wide neck, dual humbuckers and it stays in tune. I liked it so much I bought another one that GC had on sale for $89 a few years ago.

Godin Radiator.  Not close.

Good NewsSPAMPpP

Comment

• nothingstock
              nothingstock commented
              Editing a comment

Years ago I bought a Korean-made Squier Tele for $150, with a gig bag.  It had no finish and lousy pickups, and the body is one of those plastic/wood/plastic, foto-flame jobs that has no business sounding good at all.  The thing is, the neck has the best feel of nay guitar I have ever played (the lilst includes a number of Hamers, and a 61 SG/LP that was quite spectacular). It has aftermarket tuners and bridge, and I found pups that sounded good.  It has been my #1 for a number of years now and has spoiled me in so many ways.

hmmm...toss up between an ESP LTD superstrat, don't remember the model , a Jackson Dinky superstrat, an Ibanez S of some kind and maybe a Epi LP Studio that sounded and played really good...

Comment

Dr. Scottie C wrote:

What electric have you played that when it was new.....could be bought for $300 or less at that time?

My Jagmaster is amazing...absolutely love the neck on it...nicely weighted, and the stock Duncan Designed pups are not bad, either!  $299 new...

Attached Files
              My Gear:
              2008 Fender American Standard Telecaster
              1998 Squire MIM Stratocaster
              Takamine acoustic
              Fender P-Bass

Comment

I have a Jay Turser Les Paul goldtop-copy that I really like. Of course, it doesn't compare to my Gibson Les Paul as far as quality, but there is something about it that makes me enjoy playing it more that I expected to when I bought it as a backup/beater guitar. It was fine in stock condition but I eventually upgraded it with some pickups I had laying around from other guitars (Duncan Jazz/neck & Gibson 500T/bridge), also Sperzel locking tuners. I especially like how lightweight it is.

Comment

$232 for this one.  This has become my main practice guitar.  It plays unbelievably well, stays in tune no matter how much Floyd abuse I inflict.  It's even been played at gigs and sounds great.

100\_0119.jpg

This one for $31, yes, I said $31!!!  It plays and feels amazing.

100\_0031.jpg

Attached Files
                Guitars: Heritage H-150CM, Jackson USA SL-2H, Ibanez Jem 7V, Gibson SG, Fender Strat, Carvin ST-300, Yamaha AES620
                Amp: Carvin Legacy VL-100 half stack, Gibson L-5 Lab Series
                Effects: Suhr Riot, Barber Dirty Bomb, Soundblox Classic Distortion, TC Elec Chorus, Boss DD-3, Dunlop EVH Wah, Gig-Fx MegaWah, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-50, Digitech GNX4

Comment

Working...
              X