Galveston Guitars? Any good?

chimi

• Members

Haven't heard much about them but see them all over ebay. Especially looking at the set neck LP copy here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-SET-NECK-LP-777-ARCH-TOP-SUNBURST-ELECTRIC-GUITAR_W0QQitemZ190322747109QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item2c501ea6e5&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262&_trkparms=|293:1|294:30#ht_5500wt_940

If anyone has any info or experience with these please let me know.

• Members

Okay, but seriously: Galvestons have cheap hardware, horrible necks, worthless pickups, bad wiring, and poor construction.

Their clear-lucite line is fun though, because you can swap out EVERYTHING and end up with a relatively nice clear-lucite guitar for far, far less than buying a lucite guitar from a well-respected maker. It's not like you have to worry about poor wood quality; lucite is lucite.

• Members

Rule #7: Never buy a cheap Asian guitar named after a city in Texas.

there aint nothing wrong with Galveston other than the massive damage done by the last storm that came through.

beside that guitar company isnt even from texas. we actually like playable guitars down here. i think they're from ohio

• Members

Their clear-lucite line is fun though, because you can swap out EVERYTHING and end up with a relatively nice clear-lucite guitar for far, far less than buying a lucite guitar from a well-respected maker. It's not like you have to worry about poor wood quality; lucite is lucite.

Yep, their lucite models are best viewed as buying a lucite body that just happens to have some extra stuff thrown in - that you'll probably be throwing out.

I've been tempted lately, now that they have a hardtail lucite strat model... heck, may not even have to swap out the whole bridge, just the saddles - unlike the craptacular vintage style trems they usually put on them.

• Members

there aint nothing wrong with Galveston other than the massive damage done by the last storm that came through.

beside that guitar company isnt even from texas. we actually like playable guitars down here. i think they're from ohio

:freak:

I never said they were from Texas.

I said never buy a cheap Asian guitar NAMED AFTER a Texas city.

It's a handy rule of thumb. If somebody is selling a Vietnamese-built guitar on eBay called a "Waco" or a "San Antonio", don't bid on it. It's almost certainly crap.

• Members

:cop:A chill pill is in order! Maybe the storm did a little more damage than is seen by the naked eye.:rolleyes:

• Members

I got a Galveston 5 string bass as a sweetener in a bigger swap. I'm going to defy the critics here by saying that it was a decent player. Granted, the pickups were as noisy as a Chinook Skycrane stuck in a tinfoil hat, but I had fun with the thing for awhile.

As for build quality and long term value, who cares? If you get one, upgrade the pups, play the crap out of it until it breaks, and (for the price of buying one decent guitar) you can buy half a dozen more.

• Members

It seems strange that a company would go to all the effort of developing a lucite guitar, and not make it a decent guitar.

Maybe the 'development' isn't really the issue - they just took a block of perspex, shaped it like a strat body and slapped all the usual budget strat shaped bits on it that they usually put on their wood bodied guitars. FWIW I've tried the AXL perspex bodied guits too (AXL can make quite a decent wood guitar) and the couple I picked up were quite horrid.

• Members

It seems strange that a company would go to all the effort of developing a lucite guitar, and not make it a decent guitar.

As far as I can tell, making a lucite guitar is trivially easy once your factory is tooled for it. They probably use a factory which is/was subbed out to make bodies for some other maker.

• Members

It's a handy rule of thumb. If somebody is selling a Vietnamese-built guitar on eBay called a "Waco" or a "San Antonio", don't bid on it. It's almost certainly crap.

Almost as much crap if they would have called it a Minneapolis or Duluth.

• Members

Sensitive bunch, those texans, eh?

I've been to Texas a few times, and found the people there to be downright nice.

There seems to be something about Internet forums which either makes people hypersensitive, or just somehow attracts those with knotted panties.

Although I do think we should be given our hockey team name back. The "Minnesota Wild" is a terrible name for a sports team, and (let's face it) the North Stars do not belong in Dallas at all. People down there think hockey is an indoor sport, for crying out loud! :rolleyes:

• Members

Yea-- mine is sitting in the closet, gutted, waiting for me to get around to installed nicer bits in, and on, it. I never played it long enough stock to decide if the neck is going to stay or go. It's a flat neck with a fairly large radius, which is not my taste. Oh, and it does not play well with aftermarket pickguards. I'll probably paint the stock pickguard to try to spice the look up from the white on clear look.

PaulS

• Members
I've been to Texas a few times, and found the people there to be downright nice.

There seems to be something about Internet forums which either makes people hypersensitive, or just somehow attracts those with knotted panties.

Although I do think we should be given our hockey team name back. The "Minnesota Wild" is a terrible name for a sports team,
and (let's face it) the
North
Stars do not belong in Dallas at all. People down there think hockey is an indoor sport, for crying out loud!
:rolleyes:

Totally agree.

• Members

We don't go for that fancy city-boy readin' you carpetbaggin' homuhtesticles are always doin'. [spit] [ding] [weds cousin]

• Members

Although I do think we should be given our hockey team name back. The "Minnesota Wild" is a terrible name for a sports team, and (let's face it) the
North
Stars do not belong in Dallas at all. People down there think hockey is an indoor sport, for crying out loud!
:rolleyes:

hey bro im not being sensitive or anything like that. i actually though

Rule #7: Never buy a cheap Asian guitar named after a city in Texas.

was kinda funny. you know the worst thing about about forums is you cant see the people your talking to, so you cant see facial expressions