Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Galveston Guitars? Any good?

Haven't heard much about them but see them all over ebay. Especially looking at the set neck LP copy here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-SET-NECK-LP-777-ARCH-TOP-SUNBURST-ELECTRIC-GUITAR_W0QQitemZ190322747109QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGui tar?hash=item2c501ea6e5&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262 &_trkparms=|293:1|294:30#ht_5500wt_940

If anyone has any info or experience with these please let me know.
    Originally posted by fu2jobu"1999 was all about me wanting to find Lou Bega and giving him a few good bitch slaps. "FS/FT - LTD Mirage guitar with EMG pickups. (MIJ)http://www.harmonycentral.com/t5/Electric-Guitars/FS-FT-LTD-Mirage-guitar-emg-pickups/m-p/36167161/highlight/false#M290782

never heard of them.
    Get an Agile!
    Bogner OS 2x12 w/ V30's
    Line 6 M13
    Gibson Les Paul Studio
    ESP LTD EC-401FM

Comment

I've researched them in the past and found nothing good about them. I think they make good firewood.

Comment

I've got a lucite Galveston Strat (strictly for grins). It was cheap and it shows. Pretty much a POS.
        "Deep in the heart of Texas"
        An actual HCGF member since '97, but had to re-register.

Comment

• mrlonnybrooks
          mrlonnybrooks commented
          Editing a comment

I bought a green strat style at my favorite music store Replay Music in Greenfield MA for $100 then went to www.guitatarfetish.com and bought a pre-loaded pickguard(Keep in mind they come with hand wound pickups)$35

Then I added a Wilkonson WS50 steel tremolo and solid block along with LSR roller nut and Sperzel locking tuners

For less than $300 I have a strat that plays as well if not better than a new $2600 American Standard

I have a couple. They are what they are. Very inexpensive but as good as most things in that price range. I too have a lucite LP model that I put HB-sized P90s in and it sounds killer. Like a supercharged Tele.
        tlbonehead@yahoo.com
        www.myspace.com/tbone_tommy
        -For Sale:
        -set of GFS Dream 90s- gold and black pearl- $40 shipped in the cont. US
        -(2) Celestion G12M-70 16 ohm guitar speakers in good condition $40 ea. + shipping.
        - Vox VT15 Valvetronix very clean - $85 + shipping
        - Hughes Kettner Edition Tube 20 (the early Voxy sounding one) Sounds & looks good. $250 + shipping. SOLD
        - Crate Palomino V8 - 10" Celestion - Very clean - on Ebay (sold)

Comment

Rule #7: Never buy a cheap Asian guitar named after a city in Texas.
          This is my signature file. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Comment

Okay, but seriously: Galvestons have cheap hardware, horrible necks, worthless pickups, bad wiring, and poor construction.

Their clear-lucite line is fun though, because you can swap out EVERYTHING and end up with a relatively nice clear-lucite guitar for far, far less than buying a lucite guitar from a well-respected maker. It's not like you have to worry about poor wood quality; lucite is lucite.

Comment

From ones I've seen in person, they're cheaply made and have terrible fretwork.

As another poster mentioned, go to RondoMusic.com
              the city- it calls to me
              decadent scenes from my memory

"Someone like David Gilmour can say more in three or four notes than Yngwie can say in 100, but at least they're both speaking." -Dave Mustaine

Originally Posted by Tweedledee

Because it was off topic. This is the Electric Guitar forum, not the nutmeg forum.

Originally Posted by batotman

There's only so much you can say until it gets annoying (which I found out with dog humping and puking pics).

Originally Posted by adlo76

Nikki Cox flavored **************** sauce.

Comment

Rule #7: Never buy a cheap Asian guitar named after a city in Texas.

there aint nothing wrong with Galveston other than the massive damage done by the last storm that came through.

beside that guitar company isnt even from texas. we actually like playable guitars down here. i think they're from ohio
                yes, i do shot lasers from my eyes

Originally Posted by Bro Blue

- so it worked. If I could make a million or so dollars playing guitar by sticking a maxi pad to my forehead I'd do it.

Comment

Their clear-lucite line is fun though, because you can swap out EVERYTHING and end up with a relatively nice clear-lucite guitar for far, far less than buying a lucite guitar from a well-respected maker. It's not like you have to worry about poor wood quality; lucite is lucite.

Yep, their lucite models are best viewed as buying a lucite body that just happens to have some extra stuff thrown in - that you'll probably be throwing out.

I've been tempted lately, now that they have a hardtail lucite strat model... heck, may not even have to swap out the whole bridge, just the saddles - unlike the craptacular vintage style trems they usually put on them.

Comment

there aint nothing wrong with Galveston other than the massive damage done by the last storm that came through.

beside that guitar company isnt even from texas. we actually like playable guitars down here. i think they're from ohio

I never said they were from Texas.

I said never buy a cheap Asian guitar NAMED AFTER a Texas city.

It's a handy rule of thumb. If somebody is selling a Vietnamese-built guitar on eBay called a "Waco" or a "San Antonio", don't bid on it. It's almost certainly crap.

Comment

A chill pill is in order! Maybe the storm did a little more damage than is seen by the naked eye.

Comment

I've got a lucite Galveston Strat (strictly for grins). It was cheap and it shows. Pretty much a POS.

It seems strange that a company would go to all the effort of developing a lucite guitar, and not make it a decent guitar.
                        -----
                        Too much work keeping my sig up to date

Comment

I got a Galveston 5 string bass as a sweetener in a bigger swap. I'm going to defy the critics here by saying that it was a decent player. Granted, the pickups were as noisy as a Chinook Skycrane stuck in a tinfoil hat, but I had fun with the thing for awhile.

As for build quality and long term value, who cares? If you get one, upgrade the pups, play the crap out of it until it breaks, and (for the price of buying one decent guitar) you can buy half a dozen more.

Comment

It seems strange that a company would go to all the effort of developing a lucite guitar, and not make it a decent guitar.

Maybe the 'development' isn't really the issue - they just took a block of perspex, shaped it like a strat body and slapped all the usual budget strat shaped bits on it that they usually put on their wood bodied guitars. FWIW I've tried the AXL perspex bodied guits too (AXL can make quite a decent wood guitar) and the couple I picked up were quite horrid.
                            http://tertl.blogspot.com - The Blog of the Ancient Mariner

Grumpy old man from the Yew Kay.

WTB Emi Ramrod

Dirty 30 AC30 Crew

Good deals with Darxcide, MetalheadUK, Farmer Geddon, Lanefair, Chris006, ChrisB, Zoidberg, Uncle Psychosis, Krashpad, Loobs, stevemcb, Prauny, Benecol, Muttz, axis player, Ratae Coritanorum.

Comment

Working...
                            X