My old a decrepid amps

Pine Apple Slim

• Members

Ive got 3 old amps that need to be fixed up. And a limited budget. Which would you fix first, or which would you prefer as a reliable gigging rig?

#1 Crate Vintage Club 2110R-This one needs the least work. Some fresh tubes and she would be good as new. This is the easiest choice, but, the reverb is small and not the best, and Id really like to add a 2x10 or 2x12 cab for it. The single 10" Emminece is ok, but kinda thin in a band situation.

crate

#2-Peavey Artist 240-This old warhorse has tremendous power, a single 12" black widow, 4 6L6s and 2 SS preamps, so so reverb, and great versatility due to the  channel switching. Tubes are old goove tubes and still sound pretty good. It has static in the knobs, and the footswitch is kaput. This is a file photo, but mine is just like it tho the speaker may be different.

200\_artist1\_1.jpg

#3-SF Bassman Head-This one is early 70s from the transformer codes. Its never had anything done to it. Has original tuvbes but they are fried. I picked it up in a trade many yrs ago and it needs tubes and perhaps caps. Plus I would have to buy or build  a  4ohm cab of some kind for it.  

bassman o

Eventually Id like to get em all back into shape, but Im torn on what to do first. 

Ive found a good local tech and I'm just about to take the Bassman to him, but Im having second thoughts.  I used to own an old Bassman head just like this one  and 2 15 cab long long ago that was a great sounding rig. But maybe Id be happier with one of the other amps?

Which rig would you rather have? Which one would you like best?

Really any of them would work for me and the music I play. Mostly country/americana/ and oldies rock.

Just thought Id get some other opinions before I start spending money.

• Members

Where are you located? I might be interested in buying that bassman head from you if you ever think of selling it...

That being said, I'm a huge fan of silverface Fenders and have been banging on them exclusively over the past few months. They're great amps, and awesome mod platforms. I'd look into making that head a monster.

• Members

Still havent figure out how to quote on here

Where are you located? I might be interested in buying that bassman head from you if you ever think of selling it...

That being said, I'm a huge fan of silverface Fenders and have been banging on them exclusively over the past few months. They're great amps, and awesome mod platforms. I'd look into making that head a monster.>>>>>>

Im in N Alabama near Huntsville. No I really dont wanna sell it. My plan was to do exactly as you say, but its prob gonna be expensive, and Im gonna have to get a cab. Still right now thats my plan. Just wanted to see if anyone else might prefer one of my other options.

• Members

Wouldn't the Peavey and the Bassman give a similar sound given that they are 6L6 based amps? I'd say to focus more on getting the Bassman in working order and get a cab for it. If all you need is tubes for the Crate, you already have a poor man's Marshall based EL84 platform albeit less powerful. They are still pretty loud though as I've ot an old VC30 and it is anything but quiet when cranked.

• Members

hardtdc wrote:

Wouldn't the Peavey and the Bassman give a similar sound given that they are 6L6 based amps? I'd say to focus more on getting the Bassman in working order and get a cab for it. If all you need is tubes for the Crate, you already have a poor man's Marshall based EL84 platform albeit less powerful. They are still pretty loud though as I've ot an old VC30 and it is anything but quiet when cranked.

The Peavey has a lot more headroom than the Bassman. Double the power 4 valves vs 2, 120w vs 50. Plus channel switching(with footswitch) and the ability to series the 2 chs together. Tho Ive heard that can be done w a bassman as well. These old Artists are still used by some pedal steelers. W ith a high power speaker, it can stay clean almost as loud as a Twin unless you introduce intentional distortion with the preamps. The SS preamps are suprisingly musical when you do use them for OD.

The Crate is loud for its size no doubt. Ive played decent sized rooms with it not miced. It just dont push a whole lotta air with one 10. When those EL84s get hot and cookin its a damn fine little amp. Ive never owned either, but people charaterize it as either Marshally or Voxish in tone. 

• Members

If it was me, I'd go through your silverface Bassman first, as it's your most valuble amp.  It's all tube too.  You mentioned the Crate being the easiest, but you also mentioned you'd like a cab to go with it.  So if you were thinking of buying/building a cab anyway, I'd go with the Bassman head, then buy/build a cab to go with it.  You'll have a great sounding rig with lots of mojo.  :robotwink:

• Members

Update. Opened up the bassman and checked the tubes.

6L6s completely fried, preamp tubes tested iffy.

But the inside is immaculate. Looks brand new.

Ordered a full set of jjs, and a 4 ohm Carvin P-15 for my Carvin bass cab.

Gotta pick up a fresh can of contact cleaner, and a new grounded power plug, some idiot had snapped off the ground on the old plug.

Gonna fire it up and see what I got before spending money on a cap job right now.

Archived