Epiphone Warranty Question

The Rover

• Members

So I just got my new Epiphone LP Tribute and It sounds fantastic, but it has the usual QC problems. The nut is cut way too high and it may need some fretwork. Does anyone know if this sort of thing is covered on their warranty? I don't want to send the guitar back because Im afraid a replacement wont sound as good and it will probably have the same issues anyway, and I sure as hell dont want to fork over $100 for nut and fret work on a brand new friggin guitar.  How the {censored} do these pass the inspection? :robotsurprised:Thanks.

• Members

The more I think about it the more pissed I get. If they're letting stuff like this through Epiphones QC must be total crap. The guitar I sent back to get this one was a Gibson LP Special. They managed to get the nut height right but coulnd't manage to file the slots properly so the guitar would stay in tune. (The epi sounds alot better, must be the long neck tenon). :robotlol:

Im getting so tired of sending guitars back. Im gonna call Epiphone tommorow and kindly ask them who I have to blow to get a guitar thats not {censored}ing broke. :catfrustrated:

• Members

I contacted Fender once about a warranty issue. Everything falls under "acts of god" or something like that, and they don't cover anything. Unless maybe it's clearly defective. Hey, it's worth a shot to ask them to repair shoddy fretwork, but I'm guessing they'll blame it on improper storage climate or something and refuse to fix it.

• Members

Yeah Im probably gonna swallow it and pay for the work myself, if I cant get Epiphone to do it. Only because I really like the tone of the instrument. I can have my tech fix the nut for about $20 and so far Ive only found one bad spot on the fretboard. (9th fret on the G-string buzzes.

Ill chalk it up to the price you pay for getting a guitar with these features for $599. :smileyfrustrated:

• Members

Ok I just called Epiphone and they told me to bring it to the Authorized Service Center , Precision Guitar, which just happens to be my regular tech and he does great work. This is good news! It sounds like they'll pay for the nut to be fixed and any fretwork that it needs.  Sweet! :smileylol:

• Members

Indeed. I wouldn't have even messed with it if I didn't like the tone. The Gibson i sent back before could have been easily fixed but I didn't like the pickups so I just used it as an excuse to get free return shipping.

I see great potential in this LP. From the first E power chord I strummed after plugging it into my Marshall I knew it was a keeper. Thos '57 Classics are fantastic pickups. :robotvery-happy:

• Members

The Rover wrote:

So I just got my new Epiphone LP Tribute and It sounds fantastic, but it has the usual QC problems. The nut is cut way too high and it may need some fretwork. Does anyone know if this sort of thing is covered on their warranty? I don't want to send the guitar back because
Im afraid a replacement wont sound as good and it will probably have the same issues anyway
, and I sure as hell dont want to fork over $100 for nut and fret work on a brand new friggin guitar.  How the {censored} do these pass the inspection? :robotsurprised:Thanks.

I wouldn't send s!@t back to Gibson for warranty work, but you have two choices. Send it back to the store or pay for the work to be don't right.

I had to have the nut cut on my USA SG Classic when I got it, other than sending the guitar back 2 twice to get one that didn't look like fire wood and the nut re cutting. I thing I got a good one.

I learned one thing in the process, Gibson doesn do there own inventory either. After ordering a SG they sent me one of those LP specials. I probably should have kept the guitar and flipped it, but I sent it back and was kinda pissed.

• Members

This is in response to DocJeffreys comment:

This was not a matter of setting the guitar up to my taste. I know how to set up my guitars and I dont mind doing it when I buy a new or used one. However, it would have been impossible for me to set this guitar up to my preference with a nut that was cut that high. When it comes to nuts, they are either cut to the proper height or they arent. Now when a nut is set to the proper height, a player can still adjust the action to be high using the bridge and/or truss rod, but when its cut too high you have no choice but to play it with uncomfortably high action. The guitar was defective, period. :catvery-happy:

P.S. I still dont know how to quote people on this new system, or insert pics for that matter. :robotembarrassed:

• Members

What I did is I ordered a set of nut files and learnt how to to improve stock nuts. I also went as far as to order blank nuts and learnt how to cut a perfect nut out of a raw block of material (bone). This has helped me improve significantly some second-hand guitars which the previous owners considered as dogs just because of the usual nut faults (and as a consequence these were sold to me half-price in pristine condition). If you have some DIY skills, I suggest investing in a set of nut files (40$ range) and get that skill down, it's been worth the effort for me.

To name a few nuts which needed some improvement : Fender USA strat, Epi 339, SIGMA 000m-15, Gibson 60 tribute LP.

Perfect nuts on the following though : MIJ Teles, Gibson 1990s SGs, Squier CV strat, Squier J Mascis Jazzmaster, another USA Fender Strat.

Hope that helps !

• Members

'I know how to set up my guitars .... When it comes to nuts, they are either cut to the proper height or they arent.'

Well, see: what msschaft said.  Prepping nut slots is part of "knowing how to set up your guitars."

Isn't it nice to see the companies come through on their warranties?  I have had nothing but good support from FMIC, even shelling out to have pots fixed on a Chinese Squier; you KNOW they're not making money on that.

Archived