Am I asking the impossible or should a guitar tech know how to do this?

danswon

• Members

I have a strat copy. I have 2 artec rails pickups. My soldering iron is broken and I can't be bothered to figure out the wiring so I've asked a guitar tech to do something for me. I wanted this:

pickups in bridge and neck (no mid pickup)

5-way stock switch wired so that:

1 = bridge series

2 = bridge parallel

3 = bridge and neck both in parallel (and in parallel with each other, as is typical for 2 buckers)

4 = neck parallel

5 = neck series

He says it's impossible so he's just ended up wiring it like normal series humbuckers.

• Members

danswon wrote:

I have a strat copy. I have 2 artec rails pickups. My soldering iron is broken and I can't be bothered to figure out the wiring so I've asked a guitar tech to do something for me. I wanted this:

1 = bridge series

2 = bridge parallel

3 = bridge and neck both in parallel (and in parallel with each other, as is typical for 2 buckers)

4 = neck parallel

5 = neck series

He says it's impossible so he's just ended up wiring it like normal series humbuckers.

should be easy as you only have 2 different positions. maybe use a 3 way switch instead. you have 1 bridge and neck in series 2 bridge and neck parallel . unless im missing something you only have 2 pickups so theres only 2 choices.  usually people do 1bridge only , 2neck only, bridge + 3neck series,4 b+n parallel

unless youre talking about splitting the humbuckers

• Members

Yes it is possible, though I can't tell you how to do it.  You will need a super switch if you want to use a blade style switch like on a tele or strat.  Here is one, though I would shop the price a bit:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Components:_Switches_and_knobs/Super_Switch.html

You can also use a rotary switch (5 or 6 way).  You can actually hook one humbucker up to a 6 way switch and get six different options.  I plan on using this wiring with two p90's.  Here is  a link a a wiring diagram:

http://www.skguitar.com/SKGS/sk/Images/diagrams/six_way_rotary.htm

• Members

danswon wrote:

1 = bridge series

2 = bridge parallel

4 = neck parallel

5 = neck series

Is this what you're trying to get? By the looks of it you'll need a dual pole switch for each pickup next to the pickup selector. Or maybe a free-way switch could do the trick for both pickups which would be more convenient. Anyway, the whole operation seems doable if not potentially messy.

Archived