Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am I asking the impossible or should a guitar tech know how to do this?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I asking the impossible or should a guitar tech know how to do this?

I have a strat copy. I have 2 artec rails pickups. My soldering iron is broken and I can't be bothered to figure out the wiring so I've asked a guitar tech to do something for me. I wanted this:

pickups in bridge and neck (no mid pickup)

5-way stock switch wired so that:

1 = bridge series

2 = bridge parallel

3 = bridge and neck both in parallel (and in parallel with each other, as is typical for 2 buckers)

4 = neck parallel

5 = neck series

He says it's impossible so he's just ended up wiring it like normal series humbuckers.

danswon wrote:

I have a strat copy. I have 2 artec rails pickups. My soldering iron is broken and I can't be bothered to figure out the wiring so I've asked a guitar tech to do something for me. I wanted this:

1 = bridge series

2 = bridge parallel

3 = bridge and neck both in parallel (and in parallel with each other, as is typical for 2 buckers)

4 = neck parallel

5 = neck series

He says it's impossible so he's just ended up wiring it like normal series humbuckers.

should be easy as you only have 2 different positions. maybe use a 3 way switch instead. you have 1 bridge and neck in series 2 bridge and neck parallel . unless im missing something you only have 2 pickups so theres only 2 choices.  usually people do 1bridge only , 2neck only, bridge + 3neck series,4 b+n parallel

unless youre talking about splitting the humbuckers

Community Agent ProvocateurThe REAL Angry

Comment

• badpenguin
      badpenguin commented
      Editing a comment
      I think it would be best with a 3 way switch, and 2 push pulls pots. This way you could have a neck Parallel and a bridge series if you wished.

• lz4005
      lz4005 commented
      Editing a comment

If the rails have separate leads for the coils it should be relatively easy. Would probably need a superswitch rather than a standard Fender 5 way, though.

It's doable, but id find another tech. Not a joe average mod but not impossible as you've been told. If frank zappa and brian may did what they did to guitars, you surely can have rails in series and parallel whatever combination you wish.

Comment

danswon wrote:

1 = bridge series

2 = bridge parallel

4 = neck parallel

5 = neck series

Is this what you're trying to get? By the looks of it you'll need a dual pole switch for each pickup next to the pickup selector. Or maybe a free-way switch could do the trick for both pickups which would be more convenient. Anyway, the whole operation seems doable if not potentially messy.

Fatte mi sentire la vostra voce

Comment

Working...
    X