Tyler Variax guitars vs the older Variax guitars

GilmourD

• Members

So I tried out one of the new Variax guitars recently and was actually REALLY impressed with the acoustic models. However, the guitars are incredibly expensive compared to the older models.

Has anybody used both? How do they acoustics in the older models compare to the Tyler versions?

• Members

GilmourD wrote:

Has anybody used both? How do they acoustics in the older models compare to the Tyler versions?

I've used and have both. The models themselves are quite similar, but the Tyler guitars are in a whole other class in terms of quality and playability. The first Variax guitars were really not that great, the later models were better. The Tylers are way ahead, and also, they have mag pickups so you're not limited to using only modeled sounds and if the battery dies you can still carry on. I actually use the "stock" pickup sound quite a bit, they sound good.

• Members

Anderton wrote:

GilmourD wrote:

I've used and have both. The models themselves are quite similar, but the Tyler guitars are in a whole other class in terms of quality and playability. The first Variax guitars were really not that great, the later models were better. The Tylers are way ahead, and also, they have mag pickups so you're not limited to using only modeled sounds and if the battery dies you can still carry on. I actually use the "stock" pickup sound quite a bit, they sound good.

Good to know.

I've been thinking more along the lines of the 500 or 600 model, more likely a 600 as I'm a maple board sort of guy.

As far as guitars with conventional pickups... I've got plenty. :) I was just thinking in terms of acoustic tones and some of the more oddball things I might go looking for.

I'm looking to start a recording project and a good deal of the work might end up being done at home, later in the evening, while my kid is sleeping, so a full-scale acoustic would not work (not that I don't want one). I was actually so impressed with the Variax acoustic models that I was thinking about getting one and using that.

Archived