Looking for some playing advice

Funky_DR

• Members

Hey folks,

I'm looking to get some advice about my playing. I feel pretty confident (maybe comfortable is a better word) with the stylistic approach and the ideas. I guess I just need some honest opinions about what you like and don't like. It's tough to get that from friends and fans and since I don't know any of you, you seem a pretty good audience.

The most recent thing I've recorded is here: http://bit.ly/13gDLcd for a guitar center blues competition(though I'm not convinced it's "blues" enough). I think it most accurately reflects my approach to phrasing and style and I'm pretty happy with the content. It's an instrumental version of Joe Bonamassa's Dust Bowl

Please excuse the faces...I don't think I have a rare form of musical turrets, but it is involuntary.

Thanks,

• Members

Thanks Sammy,

I agree.  I think somtimes I get caught up in trying to introduce rythmic contrast at the expense of the pocket.  I used to have problems with overplaying (some might say I still do!) where I would play long sequences of 16th note or 6 over one type phrases so I try to concentrate on making sure there are definitive phrases.  I think sometimes it's not as natural as it should be and that makes it sound a bit choppy like you said.

Thanks for the feedback!

Archived