No announcement yet.

what wood is "carolina"?????

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what wood is "carolina"?????

I like the look and price of this guitar, but when I emailed asking what type of wood it was I was told Carolina. Is that a type of pine?

http://us.st11.yimg.com/store1.yimg.com/I/ravguitar_1884_12560900
    Winter is coming.

It looks like it could be southern yellow pine, but that's not a common wood used by guitar makers.

A more common wood, swamp ash, looks similar. The grain seems a bit softer than what SA usually looks like.

Ask the seller to be more specific, Carolina is not a type of wood.
    Real Men Play Telecasters!

Were you doing better when "rich" people were makin' money, OR are you better off now?

Fuchs ODS 30, BadCat HC15, 63' Fender Blackface Bandmaster, Mesa-Boogie Mark, Mesa-Boogie Tremoverb, Mesa-boogie Heartbreaker, MusicMan 112RD

Comment

• Guitarmaker271
      Guitarmaker271 commented
      Editing a comment

Yes . . . . "Carolina" is actually a type of wood:

• Halesia monticola (Rehd.) Sarg.; mountain silverbell or Carolina silverbell - eastern North America (syn. H. carolina var. monticola; H. tetraptera var. monticola)

H. monticola is the largest of the genus, with specimens up to 39 m (128 ft) tall known in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park in North Carolina; the second-largest is H. macgregorii, reaching 24 m (79 ft) in China. The others rarely exceed 10 m (33 ft) tall. H. monticola is considered by some to be a subspecies of H. carolina (aka H. tetraptera).

I would think that's pine.
    Finally learning to enjoy something besides metal......and it Hurts!

Comment

That thing looks like pine and that is the most common in the Carolinas. I never heard of it being used in guitars though, can't imagine that it would be ideal. Probably has a real warm sound with no sustain. Could be wrong, just my impressions.
      AxeFXII with these: Axis | BMG RS | Strat |N4| LP Classic | SG Classic | Sheraton | Tele

Comment

Warwick Rockbasses are made from it.
        http://www.warwickrockbass.com/streamerstd.htm
        I think I read somewhere it's related to spruce, so it could very well be a type of pine.
        GREETINGS AND FELICITATIONS, CHILDREN OF TECHNOLOGY!

Comment

I emailed him to ask him if it was a type of pine and he just responded that he didn't know.
          Winter is coming.

Comment

Originally posted by GRANKOR
            Warwick Rockbasses are made from it.
            http://www.warwickrockbass.com/streamerstd.htm
            I think I read somewhere it's related to spruce, so it could very well be a type of pine.

Other than that website, I can't seem to find any source that refers to a wood type named "Carolena or Carolina". It looks like southern yellow pine, which is heavily grown in the Carolinas.

Southern yellow pine is what is used to make the stair treads you'd see at the Home Depot. It's used for tons of stuff and is also used for treated lumber.

I'm not sure how well it would work for guitars, it might be a bit dull or dead.
            Real Men Play Telecasters!

Were you doing better when "rich" people were makin' money, OR are you better off now?

Fuchs ODS 30, BadCat HC15, 63' Fender Blackface Bandmaster, Mesa-Boogie Mark, Mesa-Boogie Tremoverb, Mesa-boogie Heartbreaker, MusicMan 112RD

Comment

That's one of the new Raven models coming out of China. Suppose they have Carolina wood in China?
              Good trades with: d_dave_c

Comment

Are you sure he was not talking about the pickguard and pickup covers? They have a wood look, to me, and if you look at the second picture in the "better views", it certainly looks like a wood pickguard by the appearance of the edge which is closest to the body.

I hope it's so, because I think that's cool and will be ordering the guitar solely because of that. I can make it a good playing and sounding guitar, with a good setup and pup change (if necessary).

Comment

sure looks like pine, looks a little fatty too but it's hard to tell from pictures.
                  Old pine makes nice guitar speaker cabinets.
                  #173 MBM

Comment

That is what I wake up with every morning!
                    proud member EPIPHONE EMPIRE
                    --Epiphone Elitist les paul plain top with Kahler, Planet waves locking tuners.
                    --Carvin ls175 kahler steeler dimarzio pro track, carvin ap11, tobe zone s
                    --traynor ycv50 blue

Comment

Here is the exact quote, "750 and 999 are solid carolina"

750 refers to the clear model, 999 refers to the one that looks like it has a wood faceplate.

I wouldn't rule it out if it was pine, but he couldn't confirm if it was or not.
                      Winter is coming.

Comment

that definitely looks just like southern yellow pine.

SYP is a very hard, very dense type of pine, but it is prone to having pockets of pitch (sap) in the wood, which makes it a pain in the ass to work with.

The photo you have is exactly what it looks like with no stain at all. I've worked quite a bit of it myself, never for a guitar though.
                        Walt

"Goin' down to Luzianna, to get a mojo hand ... haw, haw, haw ..."

http://www.hoodoohounds.com/

Comment

I like this tele, that's made from yellow pine. I can just see the mojo.
                          Member of The Squier Army

Guitars
                          Gibson The Paul ll,
                          Epi G-400 custom,
                          Dillion DR500XI
                          Peavey Predator
                          Squire 51
                          Squire 51 Tele

Amps
                          Palomino V8

Comment

Something doesn't make sense to me. that is the least expensive model on the site. Would it really be cheaper to have wood shipped from carolina, to korea, to be machined, and then shipped to china to be assembled, especially if it has a high defect rate due to pockets of sap.

I just keep thinking it has to be some cheap would that's closer to korea than carolina.

Am I wrong in my logic, or is shipping wood like that cheaper than I think.
                            Winter is coming.

Comment

Working...
                            X