What's everybody using for distortion/overdrive/fuzz these days?

Special J

• Members

I've been trying some different stuff out lately to see what works with my new band. Surprisingly, I've ended up coming back to some pretty run of the mill stuff - a late 70s MXR distortion+ that I had modded by Analogman, an early 90's ProCo RAT, and an early 70's EHX Big Muff. When recording I love to crank up the Hayseed and use some natural breakup, but that's not always practical. I've also been using the studio's Hiwatt Custom 50 a lot which just loves pedals.

What are you guys digging?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

For fuzz, I use a Black Russian Big muff, a Way Huge Swollen Pickle is on my wish list. For straight up distortion I use a modded ProCo Rat2. For Lighter Gain and OD I have a Way Huge Green Rhino and  Modded Boss Bd-2 both of which I love.

Im not a huge effects junkie. I like to let my amps and guitars do most of the talking. The od/distortion/fuzz pedal market is so flooded. It seems like 50 new distortion pedals comeout every month, most of which all seem to do the same thing. How can one choose which one will work best in their rig? If I had more money Id like to try out more dirt boxes, but my money mainly goes towards upgrading my guitars or aquiring new ones.

• Members

Fulltone Fulldrive 2 is my go-to overdrive.  I recently found my old Guyatone OD-2 I haven't used in a decade and I've been digging playing with it.  It's got a bit more edge and 'lo-fi' sound but it works awesome as a dirty boost, or feeding into the FD2.

I know several guitarists, including myself who love the FD2. I use it or just push the amp's front end w/out anything. I'm no expert, but I know what I'm looking for is what I've finally found. Love it.

• Members

For Overdrive I mainly use my T-Rex Gristle King.  I also have a Damage Control Liquid Blues which is a great OD but with a giant footprint and almost 2 Amp draw it's not exactly pedal board friendly.

For Fuzz I use either my BBE Free Fuzz which I picked up for $30 on a MF STOTD and a VFE Fiery Red Horse.  The Free Fuzz is a nice Fuzz Face clone while the VFE Fiery Red horse is more about super thick/saturated fuzz tones.  

Here's a video I did awhile back that utilizes the Gristle King and Free Fuzz.

• Members

There are a lot of good options out there for OD, but I find no fault in Analog man's clone of the classic DOD 250 w/ mojo chip, son.  It's {censored}ing brilliant.

http://www.buyanalogman.com/DOD_OD_250_p/am-dod-250.htm

Great transparency and clean boost, and balls out OD if you are man enough.

I still love Keelys ultra modded DS-1 too.

http://www.robertkeeley.com/products/boss/ds1-distortion-ultra-mod/

Not your Mama's DS-1.

Stacked them to achieve sonic bliss.

• Members

I have a Way Huge Green Rhino for low-to-medium gain.  I love the tones I get out of it and the fact that I can move the gain knob with my foot.  And the 100 Hz control eliminates my biggest beef with TS circuits.

Green Rhino overdrive

My Digitech Hardwire SC-2 gets the call for medium to high-gain distortion.  I originally bought it purely for the high-gain tones (it blew a recent-issue Rat out of the water) but I was surprised at this pedal's versatility.  You can get a classic early-70's Marshall sound or just use it as a boost.  Digitech Hardwire SC-2

My fuzz is an Earthquaker Devices Dream Crusher.  Another unbelievably versatile and dynamic pedal (do you sense a theme here?). 

EQD Dream Crusher

For gigs with the cover band, the distortions in my Line 6 M13 is slowly replacing everything but the Green Rhino.  They're not great but they get the job done.

• Members

my pedalboard main-stays have been an Ibanez TS-9 and a Barber Direct Drive SS.  Although i have been spending a lot of time with a gorgeous and completely flawless OD pedal that fellow forumite, Warriorpoet, handwired for me (based somewhat on the Klon circuit, but truly it's own animal).  

i also have a sunface and a harmonic percolator that i love to play with on occasion.  then there's the keeley-modded DS-1 for those 80s metal moments, the Rat, the Greer sonic boom boost, the outlaw effects orient express, ...

hi, my name is GD and i am addicted to OD/distortion/fuzz boxes.

• Members

The Rover wrote:

For fuzz, I use a Black Russian Big muff, a Way Huge Swollen Pickle is on my wish list. For straight up distortion I use a modded ProCo Rat2. For Lighter Gain and OD I have a Way Huge Green Rhino and  Modded Boss Bd-2 both of which I love.

Im not a huge effects junkie. I like to let my amps and guitars do most of the talking. The od/distortion/fuzz pedal market is so flooded. It seems like 50 new distortion pedals comeout every month, most of which all seem to do the same thing. How can one choose which one will work best in their rig? If I had more money Id like to try out more dirt boxes, but my money mainly goes towards upgrading my guitars or aquiring new ones.

Gotta love the Russian Big Muff. What's modded about your RAT? I think mine is a RAT2 as well I just recently fell in love with it while using it through my Hayseed 30. I was thinking about bringing both my RAT and my big muff to Analogman to have him give them the same treatment he gave my Distortion+.

• Members

reverberlayed wrote:

A Way Huge Green Rhino for low gain, a Fulltone OCD is my main mid-gain drive, a Keeley Rat for higher gain, and an Earthquaker Devices Hoof for fuzz. I'm always looking for more and different drives. My pedal gas almost surpasses my guitar gas.

Do you play in band? You're in New Haven right? My pedal gas has evened out, but I'm stilll always on the lookout.

• Members

I use my amp (Laney LC15). Combined with a parametric EQ pedal I can get a very wide variety of dirty sounds from it and see little need for additional diode clipping in front.

I do have a Big Muff, but it very rarely gets used. It has a purpose, but that purpose is for the guitar to disappear into background noise. When I use it, I almost always also have another guitar track going on as well.

• Members

The 'natural' distortion/overdrive from a good amp can't be beat. So I use the 4 channels of my ENGL Screamer, from crunchy to heavy overdrive.

I also use TC Electronic pedals. I think they are top quality. I have the Nova-system, wich has an exellent distortion modus and perfect boostfunction. As an extra I use the TC Nova drive, an analogue pedal with two functions (dist/overdrive) that can be used together and: I can use it 'midi' with the Nova System. Every preset I can use new settings.

• Members

PrawnHeed wrote:

I use my amp (Laney LC15). Combined with a parametric EQ pedal I can get a very wide variety of dirty sounds from it and see little need for additional diode clipping in front.

I do have a Big Muff, but it very rarely gets used. It has a purpose, but that purpose is for the guitar to disappear into background noise. When I use it, I almost always also have another guitar track going on as well.

Love the Laney LC15 amps!  I have two of them I run in stereo sometimes.  Due to them being one channel amps I do like to run a few dirt pedals in front of them to give me some options.  I have a pretty big pile of them to choice from, because I have been buying up used ones when I can get them for super low prices on ebay or kijiji.  So far I have had no problem getting very usable and good sounds out of the boss, digitech and dod pedals I get cheap and have zero interest in forking out the big bucks for the boutique pedals that have became the big things lately.

Archived