HAMER.

BryceS33

• Members

I have owned easily over 20 different guitars in the past 10 years but none of them have hailed in comparison to my Hamer double cut. I have upgraded and modded the hell out of this thing to get it to sound and play as good as possible. I swapped out the pickups, electronics, bridge, tail piece, tuners, and even the knobs to get this thing perfect.  Is there any love for these guitars?

010.jpg

• Members

BryceS33 wrote:

I have owned easily over 20 different guitars in the past 10 years but none of them have hailed in comparison to my Hamer double cut. I have upgraded and modded the hell out of this thing to get it to sound and play as good as possible. I swapped out the pickups, electronics, bridge, tail piece, tuners, and even the knobs to get this thing perfect.  Is there any love for these guitars?

010.jpg

beautiful guitar!  i have lots of love for Hamer.  they made consistently high-quality instruments and the USA line-up is a whole lot of guitar for not a lot of scratch if you buy used.

• Members

I own two Hamers, a Mahogany Studio and a Cruise Bass.  They're both wonderful guitars that aren't leaving my stable any time soon.

My 1987 Cruise bass.  I bought it about 6 years ago for $400 out the door, about 1/3 of its original selling price.  The previous owner had installed active Bartolinis. 

IMG_0397.jpg

My Mahogany Studio:

IMG_0380.jpg

Hamer made incredible guitars that never got the respect they deserved, mainly because they marketed themselves as "a poor guitarist's Gibson" which wasn't the case at all (more like "a smart guitarist's Gibson").  It's a shame that FMIC (Hamer's parent company) shut down operations, but nearly all of Hamer's luthiers are building MIA Guild electrics now. 

• Members

I would have to agree with you that they don't get the respect they deserve. I was truly shocked when I found out that they were shutting down. The only good thing to come form this is that the value of these guitars will probably only go up now.

Archived