A touch of class.

kit_strong

• Members

Here's a classy little combination I've been spending a lot of time with the last couple of days.

IMG_3173.JPG

Lately my favorite pickup combination on this guitar has been the middle position with the bridge set to Humbucker voicing and the Neck to single coil. It sounds a little bit like this.

• Members

Those are indeed the stock pikups. The virage was my first truly high end guitar and the main appeal was the versatility of the 390 pickups. Of course I was pretty much still a complete beginner when I bought it and had no business spending that much money but luckily I still enjoy today. Of course I still have no business owning such a nice guitar but that's a separate issue.

• Members

JRicoC wrote:

That's good stuff. Glad to see you're digging Virage. I love the combination of single/HB. It's like my ESP Hybrid. What do you think of the reverse: HB Neck/Single Bridge?

In general I could see an HB Neck Single Coil Bridge having  it's usefullness but with this guitar it's not a combination I care for all that much.  

The wiring on my Virage has some rather interesting quirks and I'm not sure if it's intentional or not.  For instance, if using either pickup independently there is a noticable volume drop when switchin to the clean (single coil) voicing.  This on it's own isn't a problem but with both pickups engaged it sometimes doesn't provide the results you would expect.  

For example, with the video I did using the neck in clean coil mode and the bridge in lead (humbucker) the sound of the neck pickup is dominant with the bridge just adding a bit of high end spank when you dig in making for a fairly balanced overall sound.  However, when you reverse that so that you have SC bridge and HB neck then suddenly the bridge pickup becomes the dominant sound and the end result is much brighter than I would expect.  

It ha it's uses of course but it's definitely not what I would consider ideal.

Archived