DeArmond Starfire Special or equivalent

bmxdave

• Members

I just started a search for my next guitar. Looking for a semi-hollow, thin body, with a bigsby style trem. Prefer a 175 type shape (pointy lower horn) and block style inlays.

So far I've found the above. (Its the Special. There are several different models of the Starfire I'm lead to believe)

What else fits that description?

• 5 months later...
  • Members

If you found a Starfire Special for $350 buy it! Especially if you live in Sweeden. The Dearmond Starfire Special has a Florentine cutaway (pointy), Bigsby-like trem, and two Dearmond 2k pickups. 2K's are somewhere between a Tele bridge pickup and a P90. The red one on the left is a Starfie Special:

e2236204.jpg

• Members

The dearmond Starfire and Starfire Special are great guitars for the price. I used to play one in my band where we play everything from rock ,funk, blues to R&B. Once fender changed them to squire the quality really appears to have taken a dive. They have put in cheaper pickups which make the world of difference in those guitars. I had the starfire and my buddy still has a starfire special. You won't regret getting one.

• Members

yeah Ive pretty much decided to buy it.

its even in the color I want which is black.

I think black is a boring color for guitars but these look really good in black.

whats good and bad about this guitar?

I know theyre heavy.

what I remember from trying one back in like 2000 was that it had a pretty cool almost gretsch like character..

• Members

I have always liked the sound of the Starfire Special. The DeArmond 2k (Dynasonic) pickups are terrific: very P-90ish. The major drawback of the Special is that it is really heavy. Brutally massive IMO.

I like the newer Gretsch Electromatics which have the same pickups, you should give them a try:

electro_group.jpg

The Epiphone Wildkat is also an option in this class.

• Members

hmm ok.

yeah I remember that from trying one.

I forgot my password for this handle btw.

it is automaticly stored in this comp or something.

I had to make the other nick that I started this thread with.

tell me more about this guitar.

$450 used seems like an ok price.

the guitar is pretty much unplayed and they sold for twice this price.

I can probably get this back if I want to sell it later.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Originally posted by SirJackdeFuzz

Hey there, "23miles" . . .

. . . i am very intrested in the new Electromatic's.

Have you plyed them ?

Do you know of any sound clips anywhere ?

Do they sound like your classic Gretsch tone ?

I see they have S/C pu's - any thoughts on them ?

Thank you very much !!!

;)

I did. Came across one in a local shop. It seemed pretty nice, I am a sucker for those DeArmond 2K pickups. I did not get a chance to put it through its paces, but it seemed solid and well made and it sounded very nice. Sorr I can be of more use.

• 6 years later...

Archived