Riffs 'n licks that have always eluded you

genesis3

• Members

genesis3 wrote:

Even watching Lifeson himself explain it, I can't get the damn thing down!...there is something in the phrasing when the  lick ends and it starts it over that my brain refuses to grasp grrr!

That one eluded me for many years.

Curious why, when he breaks it down, he doesn't play the open E after each note on the B string?? When he plays it just before, you can hear and see him picking the open E.

• Members

benzem wrote:

genesis3 wrote:

Even watching Lifeson himself explain it, I can't get the damn thing down!...there is something in the phrasing when the  lick ends and it starts it over that my brain refuses to grasp grrr!

That one eluded me for many years.

Curious why, when he breaks it down, he doesn't play the open E after each note on the B string?? When he plays it just before, you can hear and see him picking the open E.

yea that's weird...when he plays it slowly, he leaves out the high E, but at full speed it's definitely there...

• Members

jw10 wrote:

The intro to VH beautiful girls

I just don't get how it fits into the measure or whatnot

Haha, when I hear that song it always reminds me of that Schmidt's Gay beer commercial parody from SNL.

I always have trouble with funk/reggae stuff like Chic - Le Freak and Good Times.  The songs are simple, it's just the rhythm and timing that gives me problems.  I'm sure practice would help but there's a reason my user name includes 'hack'.

• Members

genesis3 wrote:

OK I just tried it and it's not that hard....at least the counting....lol...getting to that tempo would be tough though.

And hopefully this shows up.

It's just 8th note triplets up until that last one and then that one is simply the first 4 notes of a 16th note triplet. 

So...counted...it's...

Triplet-8th-feel-1.png

.....for the first bar and through the second bar up until the 4.  When you get to the 4 on the second bar you replace the 8th note triplet with a 16th note triplet but only the first 4 notes.  Like the first beat here...(ignore the other beats):

11example4.gif

The "one" here would be on the "four" in our Rush lick.  Which looks like that.  But remember it's played twice as fast as the other ones. 

Hope that makes sense.

• Members

I nailed 95% of the two solos of Deep purple's "Lazy". The one bit that I can't seem to really nail is the ultra fast legato stuff of the first solo. I can play the notes but it sounds laborious and not flowing the way I wish it does. And I have practiced it a lot.

• Members

soundcreation wrote:

genesis3 wrote:

OK I just tried it and it's not that hard....at least the counting....lol...getting to that tempo would be tough though.

And hopefully this shows up.

It's just 8th note triplets up until that last one and then that one is simply the first 4 notes of a 16th note triplet. 

So...counted...it's...

Triplet-8th-feel-1.png

.....for the first bar and through the second bar up until the 4.  When you get to the 4 on the second bar you replace the 8th note triplet with a 16th note triplet but only the first 4 notes.  Like the first beat here...(ignore the other beats):

11example4.gif

The "one" here would be on the "four" in our Rush lick.  Which looks like that.  But remember it's played twice as fast as the other ones. 

Hope that makes sense.

I don't think that's right.

It's 16th notes until the 16th note triplet on beat 4.

• Members

I don't often practice covers too much, but I have begun trying, in order to increase my practice (which is relatively nonexistent presently). I've been working on Dream Theater's Another Day solo. I'm halfway through, and I'm building the speed of the shreddy bit.

• Members

genesis3 wrote:

I only need to see that still of his fretting hand to know exactly what riff that is. I can do it slowly, but I still can't nail it at speed, and with that fluidity. I've about given up trying.

Lots of Jimmy Page's stuff baffles me. The galloping riff of "Immigrant Song," for one. I can hit the notes, but I can't get the feel down. Pagey gets a lot of flack for his sloppy live playing, but he's such a feel-oriented player that I think many people are missing the point about him. On occasion I'll get something down that sounds really close, and I think I've figured him out. Uh, no.

Archived