The perfect tube amp for bedroom/apartment volumes.

kit_strong

• Members

projectsunrise.jpg

Ok, it just so happens to be a headphone amp (and a cheap one at that) but I stand by my statement.

The Project Sunrise couple with an Apogee GIO, S-gear amp modelling and a pair of AKG Q701s makes for some mighty tasty tube tones without disturbing the wife or neighbors.

• Members

I'll do something similar.

kit_strong wrote:

projectsunrise.jpg

Ok, it just so happens to be a headphone amp (and a cheap one at that) but I stand by my statement.

The Project Sunrise couple with an Apogee GIO, S-gear amp modelling and a pair of AKG Q701s makes for some mighty tasty tube tones without disturbing the wife or neighbors.

I'll do something similar by running my pedal board through my small Mackie mixer. I chain the normal compressor,ODs, fuzz, wah, etc, through a Presonus TubePre into one of the regular mic channels and run the modular effects through the effects loop of the mixer. Then I run that out into my external Focusrite Sapphire soundcard.

• Members

People might disagree with me but my Bugera V22 sounds great at low levels, clean admittedly and without any hum.  I use pedals to give me drive and I'm more than happy.  It does a better job than my Roland cube, even with its attenuator.

• Members

Okay, but really you mean "guitar tones with a tube in the signal path". This setup uses digital modeling for any actual driven-tube character and uses the tube for the headphone amp. Right?

I'm not knocking it---could sound really good---but when I think "tube amp" and "volumes" I think "driven tubes".

• Members

cheezit66 wrote:

Okay, but really you mean "guitar tones with a tube in the signal path". This setup uses digital modeling for any actual driven-tube character and uses the tube for the headphone amp. Right?

I'm not knocking it---could sound really good---but when I think "tube amp" and "volumes" I think "driven tubes".

Yes Cheezit, I was using a bit of hyperbole. 

But techinitally it the power amp stage in that path is indeed a tube amplifier so one could make the case that it is literally tube amp tones.  But that's not really the point.

S-Gear on it's own is a fantastic piece of software that gives me tones just as gratifying as anything I get out of my proper tube amps.  The GIO is a fantastic guitar interface that also makes for a nice DAC.  

The Q701s have a nice sound stage for listening to guitar but they require a bit more power than the average built in headphone out can provide.  The Project Sunrise is a fairly inexpensive tube headphone amp that provides plenty of juice to Q701s while also introducing a bit of beneficial color/warmth resulting in a very enjoyable listening/playing experience.

Archived