Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

Announcement

Harmony Central has “soft launched” our new mobile experience this past week. While we have done extensive testing, we know that with a community as large as HC that there will be items that surface that will still need to be addressed. We are asking that you utilize the thread belowto report any challenges you may encounter. Here are the things we request you provide: A brief description of the issue, the device and operating system version you were using, the browser and version, screen resolution, and a screen shot of the display.
Thanks for your patience as we work towards the best experience we can provide to our community.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...ablet-feedback
See more
See less

Thoughts on Vivian Campbell ??

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on Vivian Campbell ??

I am very much on the fence about Vivian Campbell.  I mean he has been in some of the biggest rock bands, but I just don't see that he ever contributed much.  Just about every live video of him has been god awful IMO and he comes across as a sloppy and lazy player.  He basically noodled over every classic solo, in many cases just playing a bunch of random junk with some key notes thrown in here and there.  If you compare Doug Aldrich's playing with Dio versus Vivian's, it is like night and day.  Even Craig Goldy seems to have had a better handle on playing Dio songs live.

For the longest time I put these thoughts about Vivian aside mainly because of his work on Holy Diver and Last in Line (2 of the greatest rock albums IMO).  But I recently read that most of the songs for Holy Diver were written prior to Vivian joining the band.  Not sure if he just contributed the solos or what.  The solos on both albums were amazing so kudos to him if he wrote them. 

Any thoughts on the man or his contribution to the world of rock?  

He's obviously a competent journeyman guitarist who constantly gets work.   Is he the greatest guitarist who ever lived?  No.  But he's made his contributions to the greater rock pantheon, which is more than most of us wankers can say.

Comment

• Mav64
      Mav64 commented
      Editing a comment
      Loved him in Dio, indifferent to him in Leppard. Never heard Riverdogs or any of his solo stuff...

Vivian Campbell = Zzzzzzzz

He thinks he's great and maybe that's all that matters

Def Leppard never got the shot in the arm it needed to bring the scorching rock guitar sound back.

As great as Phil Collen is at covering the bases he just doesn't murder a guitar

and Steve Clark murdered guitars to the ground

Comment

• jimash
      jimash commented
      Editing a comment

"

As great as Phil Collen is at covering the bases he just doesn't murder a guitar

and Steve Clark murdered guitars to the ground"

He was loose and thrashed it. That is where the "Rock" is. Or maybe the "Roll". It's definitely one of them.

• The Burninator
      The Burninator commented
      Editing a comment

studdhuss wrote:

Def Leppard never got the shot in the arm

p

Attached Files

IO've never been a real fan, although he's a countryman of mine, I enjoyed hgis solo blues album, although it was nothing extraprdinary, but his recent stint with Scott Gorhams Thin Lizzy did him a bucket full of favours, he stepped his game up quite a lot and seemed to be having a good time, maybe he's yet to find his niche?

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. - Plato

Comment

• harold heckuba
      harold heckuba commented
      Editing a comment

I thought all of the other Dio guitarists were better.  One underrated Dio guitarist, IMO, 

was a guy named Rowan Robertson.

• JoeBoy
      JoeBoy commented
      Editing a comment

Saw him live once with White Snake. The man has some real talent. I saw him on the tele/TV with Def and was like wtf? He is a utility player and rises or falls to the need at the time. If you ever work with a utility player, you will learn to love them.

I like his work with Dio, but other than that. ..I really can't stand Def Leppard. :robotfrustrated: 

Comment

• larryguitar
      larryguitar commented
      Editing a comment

Seriously, the Riverdogs is likely the closest VC ever got to being able to play what he wants-not doing the 'Dio thing' or having to be Def Lepard'y.

Working...
X