FENDER FATFINGER - does it really work?

danswon

• Members

I find it hard to believe that just a piece of metal clamped to the headstock could make that much difference, but I have a couple of guitars that lack some bosy to the sound, so I'm really curious.

This guy seems to think it works but who's to know if he didn't just strum the guitar harder for his test?

http://www.musicianyou.com/articles/fender-fatfinger-product-review

Really interested in what you guys think. Are there any other of these type of products that aren't made by Fender (ie, same thing but cheaper)?

• Members

Those have been around since the 70s. They were the Fat Finger and there was the Fat Head (which was a plate that went behind the headstock of a Les Paul.

Groove Tubes was selling them again in the 90s IIRC. They can help a little if you have deadspots. It's really the kind of thing that depends on what you're putting it on.

• Members

danswon wrote:

Are there any other of these type of products that aren't made by Fender (ie, same thing but cheaper)?

Pony up the measly $20 dollars and give them a try.  That, or go to your local hardware store and buy an ugly clamp then pad it on either side before you clamp.  You may even have a clamp laying around, that's all they are.

• Members

billybilly wrote:

danswon wrote:

Are there any other of these type of products that aren't made by Fender (ie, same thing but cheaper)?

Pony up the measly $20 dollars and give them a try.  That, or go to your local hardware store and buy an ugly clamp then pad it on either side before you clamp.  You may even have a clamp laying around, that's all they are.

I've got a big G-clamp that weighs several pounds. Let's see what happens...

Archived