My Band Is in the Studio Today!

kayd_mon

• Members

kayd_mon wrote:

We're gonna get it done right. I posted a thread a while back lamenting the loss of my bass player. Well, we still don't have one, but I suppose that's why there are overdubs. I'll update all who are interested later!

congratulations!  is this your first time in the studio?  please post pics if you happen to take any (which you should to photo-document).  are you doing the bass tracks as well?

• Members

Yeah, I'm doing the bass also.

Our first day in yhe studio was less than stellar. Hell of a day to be off, isn't it? Anyway, drums sound good, though I was incredibly displeased with the guitar tones for nearly the whole session. I have more guitar tracks to record, and we have to redo some drums, but our budget allows a couple more sessions. I'm posting from my phone, so no pics right now.

• Members

Have fun and enjoy it!  Sorry the guitar tones haven't been working out.  Are you trying new gear?  When I did my last album I kind of got sucked into the trap of "wow, they have a killer Marshall, and this Vox, and the JC120 might be perfect here..."  Almost too many choices.  I liked the variety it gave, but in on some tunes I just didn't know the amps well enough (and didn't have the time to explore) to get what I was hearing in my head.  I probably would have been better off sticking to my Dr. Z for 90% of the takes, using the other amps for overdubbed or 2nd guitar parts.

Regardless, I love the studio.  I love actually making something that feels physical.  Live performance is great, but it always feels like a memory.  It's there and then gone, and I can never quite tell if it's great or total crap when I'm up on stage.  When I listen to a take, I can tell.  And I feel like it's producing something.  Anyways, keep us posted!

• Members

The studio had a Marshall DSL and a Fender Twin, two amps I don't really like, but I plugged into them briefly just to make sure. I used my AC30 and my pedalboard, as always. The problem I think was mic placement. Also, I should have brought along my AC15, as it records very well. Next session, I'll have it.

Archived