Anyone here sold a high end guitar and kept a cheapie in its place???

Dr. Scottie C

• Members

Replaced a LP standard with a Junior once. Replaced my AVR Jazzmaster with a much nicer looking MIJ jazzmaster, wich I guess wasn't exactly a cheapie either though. I've downgraded on more guitars, but they weren't exactly 'high end' to begin with. 

• Members

mistersully wrote:

i sold a suhr strat and bought a yamaha pacifica 611 hfm

all the high end vs low end vs mid priced stuff is really a load of rubbish

it's about finding the right guitar to make the music you want to make... that's it... end of story

True....and an agruement could probably be made that a bedroom player, or a guy who plays out occasionally doesn't really need a $2,000.00+ guitar to begin with.

Sorta like owning a Nascar, but never racing it.

• Members

Well I have a really hard time selling a great guitar whether I paid a lot or a little for it.  I will say though that the recent acquisition and subsequent refurbishment of an Aria Pro II Bobcat (CL score) has compelled me to order new pickups for one of my MIMs and actually consider selling a Hamer Mirage II.  I mean the Hamer is not quite a Strat, and is a bit on the heavy side, but it does have its own compelling voice which is one of the many things I like so much about the Bobcat as well. 

• Members

The argument for pros having top end gear is stronger than the one for amateurs having top end gear. That said, there's no problem in getting whatever you want if your budget allows.

I think of a friend's dad, who has a full DJ set with faders, etc. to play CDs or whatever, and he doesn't really know how to use the equipment. He probably should have just gotten a regular stereo, but he wanted the DJ set. People do what people will do.

• Members

I sold some high end stuff in order to buy some other high end stuff. About 7yrs ago I sold a 1951 ES125 and a Ric 2003 bass to buy a brand new Gibson Mastertone banjo. In retrospect, that was kinda dumb, cause I dont play it that much and I never got that good at banjo, but I still love it and have no plans to get rid of it. 

Miss my old 125 and Ric bad tho at times.

• Members

Well, I guess my tale doesn't strictly comply with the original question, but I think it speaks to the spirit of it.

About 10 years ago I bought a Rickenbacker 330 on the spur-of-the-moment. You don't see these too often in our local guitar emporiums, and I'd been jonesing for a semi-hollow for quite a few years, so when the 330 showed up all of a sudden, I pounced. It was beautifully made, but after a couple of years I sold it. I was just never impressed with the musicality of it. It was mediocre in the tone department, and the sustain sucked, frankly. There was a certain pride of ownership, but I just didn't play it that much.

Fast forward a few years, and I was in my local store again, and there was a beautiful Epiphone "Valensi" Riviera. Who's this "Valensi" and what are those pickups? All I knew was it sounded and played incredibly. Again I pounced. I've owned this guitar for 5 years and will never sell it. I love it; it plays and sounds far superior to my Rick. Go figure, huh? BTW, I think the price gap at the time was about $400.

• Members

I sold my '91 ES-335 and kept my Hamer Echotone.  I'm not saying the Echotone is a better guitar, but I just didn't bond with the 335.  The only expensive guitar I currently have is a '08 Standard Plus LP, and despite it being the best guitar I have, I seldom play it.  

• Members

mistersully wrote:

i sold a suhr strat and bought a yamaha pacifica 611 hfm

all the high end vs low end vs mid priced stuff is really a load of rubbish

it's about finding the right guitar to make the music you want to make... that's it... end of story

QFT.

I'm not parting with my US Std Strat, bought new in 1994, but nowadays I would never spend that kind of money on a guitar, being in part as I'm an occasional hobbyist player only, really, these days, and in part because the US guitars simply don't offer enough for hte money for me. I can certainly see the differences, I just don't find them worth the very considerable price hike in the UK. I also don't care for nitro, which plays into the mix. My favourite guitar is a 2006 CIJ 71RI Tele, and if ever I had mad money to spend on a guitar again, that's the range at which I'd look, possibly. As it is, the guitars I really GAS for nowadays are primarily a couple of CV 50s Teles (one to rewire as an Esquier), and a CV 50s Strat or two (if they ever improve the range of finishes available left handed). If Squier brought out a lefty version of the CV 50s P bass, as well as a CV57 P Bass, or even any traditional, single-pup P Bass with a maple board, and lefty, I'd see no reason nor need for me to ever own another bass, in any circumstance. 

Archived