Which one of these guitars would you rather own?

The Rover

• Members

EVH Wolfgang Special with Floyd

island-guitar-music-store-key-west-shop-

2013 Gibson SG Standard with 57 CLassics

gibson+sg+standard+2013.jpg

Both guitars are about the same price. I know they are apples and oranges. I just want to know which one this board favors out of curiosity. Thinking about buying one or the other. :catfrustrated:

• Members

Based on what you've said about your musical style, the SG sounds like a natural fit.  I'm not a huge fan of the EVH guitars but Fender's picked up its QC in the past 4 years so that's an argument for the Wolfgang. 

Put me down for a solid "I don't know." :robottongue:

• Members

I hated SGs when I was younger. Now I dig 'em.

I was into Charvels when I was younger.  I still have an affection for them, and for that reason, I like everything about the Wolfie except the body shape.  It's just a bastardization of the earlier Ernie Ball and Peavey body types, which IMO were superior to this one (although flawed themselves). I do give them credit for their finishes and the archtops, which look very nice.  The matte black finish with the Les Paul-like binding looks great to me.

The main thing I don't like about the Wolfie bodies is how far back the playing position is. There's no place for my forearm to sit, so it feels wrong.  I like a lot of wood in back of the bridge, and I like the playing position of the SG.  Makes more sense to me.

I prefer the SG, although in the 80s I wouldn't get caught dead saying that.

Archived