What is your favorite brand and gauge of electric strings ????

Dr. Scottie C

• Members

Either GHS or Snake Oil Brand 11-50 sets on my 25.5" scale guitars.  GHS 12-52 on my 24.75" guitars, and GHS 13-56 on my Godin 5th Avenue (it just sounds better).  I'm trying DR Blues 11-50 on my 50's RW Strat because GHS Nickel Rockers are a PITA to find in stores. 

• Members

I used GHS Boomers LXLs (10-38 gauge) for a couple of years, but i graduated from them to D'Addario EXL 10-46 gauge on my 25.5" scale Strat-style guitars. Now i can palm-mute whereas before the low E was too light to palm mute for some reason.

And on my 24 and 3/4" hollowbody I use D'Addario 11s.

• Members

MephitBlur:

Ernie Ball Slinky 9s. I use to play with 10s, but I found the switch made playing easier without any perceptible (to me) loss of tone.

-----------------------------------------

I agree mostly though I would argue that thicker strings have a noticeably more percussive quality.

That said I use 10s bc I prefer the feel.

• Members

D'Addario EXL 110 (10-46). I've never broken a D'Addario string. I've tried other brands (GHS, Dean Markley, Ernie Ball...) but they're not tough enough, they can't withstand the ultimate power of my right hand.

• Members

In terms of brands, I'm all over the place. I've used all kinds, and I've never been especially loyal to any one brand.

With string gauge, though, I don't stray very far from the norm. I put .010s on my Gibsons, .009s on my Fenders. I'm a bit dull that way, but that's what feels right to me. I went up a gauge with my Strats for a few years, and they felt a bit off. Never quite got the hang of them. When I went back to .009s, they felt much better. I'm staying with those.

Archived