Jay Turser Guitars

FarToMany

• Members

Anyone have a Jay Turser guitar? Wondering about the quality of them. They seem to be a good deal for the price, but im not looking for another project to put all sorts of work into to make right. Will they be a really good guitar with only a little setup? Looking at a 12 string to replace my old Dano 12 string. Thanks

• Members

I have been learning to play 4 months and heve taken my JT-200 electric to a lot of local teachers and pros and they all have given it a good rating. I too did a lot of research when I got it as I didn't know jack about guitars, let alone Jay tursers. The general consensus that I found was that they are quality at an affordable price.

• Members

hmm, So i should buy the Schecter CSH-12 then? (its in the same family as the C-1's. I heard that was supposed to be a nice guitar. I would just have to wait some more to get it, and try and sell a couple of my other guitars here first.

The JT's are a solid body---more of what i was looking for, The Schecter is a semi hollow body....what to do, what to do....

• Members

I just got one last Thursday. It is a complete POS, but. I spent all day yesterday putting in new pots, wiring, tuners, re-installed every screw so they were straight. But I knew this going into it. It has a nice neck and body. It has P-90 pickups. I have never had those yet I am still evaluating them. I got it dirt cheap though.

Tom

• Members

I just got one last Thursday. It is a complete POS, but. I spent all day yesterday putting in new pots, wiring, tuners, re-installed every screw so they were straight. But I knew this going into it. It has a nice neck and body. It has P-90 pickups. I have never had those yet I am still evaluating them. I got it dirt cheap though.

Tom

Those are cool looking.

Sorry to hear you had problems.

Did you buy it new?

Some reviews say it's really good.

• Members

hmm, So i should buy the Schecter CSH-12 then? (its in the same family as the C-1's. I heard that was supposed to be a nice guitar. I would just have to wait some more to get it, and try and sell a couple of my other guitars here first.

The JT's are a solid body---more of what i was looking for, The Schecter is a semi hollow body....what to do, what to do....

My advice, for what it's worth, is to avoid the Turser 'Hawk' 12 string. I bought one about a year ago....and liked it for about a week. I felt it's 'sound' was either harshly 'trebly' or 'muddy' in the other direction, with nothing good in between. Don't be fooled by the inevitabvle comparisons to a 'Byrds-like', 60's 'jangly', Rickenbacker sound 'at a fraction of the cost' of the original..it ain't there.

It's absurdly neck-heavy, with a curiously undersized body that borders on just weird.

My guitar quickly developed a finish crack near the neck pocket. I assume that it didn't go any deeper than the clearcoat, but I can't be certain.

Can you say 'fret buzz?' plenty of that too.

If you buy one of these guitars, be prepared to spend some time and money making it 'right'.

Buy the Schecter. I've never owned one, but it CAN'T be inferior to the Turser 'Hawk'.

I've owned other Turser guitars that were VERY good, but my 'Hawk' was not one of them.

• Members

I've looked at trying a Jay Turser a number of times, but everytime I see one I like and check the reviews, I end up changing my mind after reading what was written.

I like their rosewood tele, but I'll probably never get one because of their reviews.

Where are the reviews, BluesHawk? Can't find em on HC.

I bought a JTLTRW rosewood Tele a few weeks back, and it's ok.

It sorta cured my RW Tele GAS which is FAR more expensive.

BTW, if you are thinking of a JT, hit ebay. I paid $60 less than musicland central has them for, on a buy it now.

• Members

I only own one, and it has been great.

Called a JT45, it's sort of an SG Jr with set neck and single dogear P90. I've been nothing but impressed for it's balance, finish, smooth fret detail, stable tuners, and a sweet pickup. My first P90, which started a scramble to try out more, and still remains one of my favorites for driving a tube screamer pedal.

• Members

I only own one, and it has been great.

Called a JT45, it's sort of an SG Jr with set neck and single dogear P90. I've been nothing but impressed for it's balance, finish, smooth fret detail, stable tuners, and a sweet pickup. My first P90, which started a scramble to try out more, and still remains one of my favorites for driving a tube screamer pedal.

I have a JT-55 (asymmetric horned, 2 HB SG copy)

The pickups sucked so I upgraded to GFS Liverpools.

Pickups & electronics aside, a very nice player; good fretwork, stays in tune, comfy neck & decent balance for an SG

• Members

my second guitar was a JT 7 string. pretty cool guitar... the finsih was like.. hot pink or purple flame. something wild looking. very well made for a 200 dollar guitar though. if your not wanting to put any work into getting it just right, i dunno... mine needed some. maybe they have gotton better over the years?

• Members

Where are the reviews, BluesHawk? Can't find em on HC.

BTW, if you are thinking of a JT, hit ebay. I paid $60 less than musicland central has them for, on a buy it now.

Thanks, but I doubt I'll ever get one unless maybe instead of saving 60.oo, it only cost me 60.oo.

Anyway, here's the link to the review page for Tursers;

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar/brand/Jay+Turser

• Members

I own 5 Tursers...Rosewood Tele..."Thinline" Cruiser Tele in tobacco...JT 50 Custom "SG" in walnut...JT 200 "Strat" in amber quilt...and JT 50 "SG" 12 string. I love all of them but they do need some tweeking when you get them. I replaced the nuts on the Teles and Strat...the plastic nuts were sticky and difficult to tune. They also needed better shielding. The Graphtech preslotted nuts are a perfect replacement for the stock nut. I did a 4 way switch conversion on the rosewood and new pups on the strat. The 12 string is good as is except for shielding. The "SG" needed nothing. As for Musicland....Im not a fan. You can't call direct and speak with Dennis and he has gotten a little rude at times. His customer service is a far cry from Kurt at Rondo. JMHO though. And FWIW...Jay Turser is now owned by American Music Supply the same owners as Hagstrom.

• Members

Thanks, but I doubt I'll ever get one unless maybe instead of saving 60.oo, it only cost me 60.oo.

Anyway, here's the link to the review page for Tursers;

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar/brand/Jay+Turser

Well yeah, I found that! :freak: But I couldn't find the rosewood Tele which is a JTLTRW. And I looked at several.

I paid $175 delivered, and I'm not dissapointed. Need to spend some time with it. I think with a set of good pickups it could really be nice. It's a good characture of a Tele now. The neck pup is kinda dark, maybe even muddy. But I find myself doing some interesting things with it, so I'm not sure that I don't like it yet. The bridge pup is nice.

• Members

I've looked at trying a Jay Turser a number of times, but everytime I see one I like and check the reviews, I end up changing my mind after reading what was written.

I like their rosewood tele, but I'll probably never get one because of their reviews.

+1

I'm always finding a new guitar that interests me enough to dig up a bunch of reviews on it. I always seem to find a mixed bag with JT's, so I always drop the idea. Some people like them and I'm sure some of the stuff is fine, but I don't like the idea of ordering online and taking my chances.

• Members

My only Turser experience is a JT-200 and it really stunk. Great looking vanilla finish but it did nothing for me, basically junk. However there is a big Turser dealer not far from here where we do some RV'ing and I've played a number of different models there that felt very nice. Perhaps I just got a clunker.

I can recommend this guy though if you are looking on ebay. He doesn't usually have a lot of stuff listed at any one time but he does a great set-up and is very buyer friendly. He even called my the day it was delivered to check that all was well. Can't beat the price either. Check him out.

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQsassZrecycled705QQssPageNameZSTRKQ3aMEFSQ3aMESOI

• Members

Don't get me wrong. I knew what I was getting when I got it. I am thrilled with it. With the few things I have already done, and a few more yet to come it is going to be a whip ass guitar. I won't ever get my investment out of it but, I like building or in this case rebuilding guitars.

The neck on this is great, great fret work. I am very pleased with. It was just put together very sloppy.

Tom

Those are cool looking.

Sorry to hear you had problems.

Did you buy it new?

Some reviews say it's really good.

Archived