Def Leppard release Hysteria 2013 single

GreatDane

• Members

Well listening to the remake of Rock of Ages was a waste. 

It's not that it's bad...it's just NOT the original.  So what's the point?  I mean I get that you are trying to bypass the record company or whatever but still...it's a pointless re make from the listener's perspective.   If you're not going to do a fresh arrangement of it then you're just making a copy which will has very little chance of ever being as good as the original.

• Members

I don't think they are really that interested in the sales of the re-records [although it that happens then that's extra added gravy], what they are really interested is licensing the re-records to films and commericals and beating out the record label.

Their contract may also state that Universal can only license out their songs with their permission, if that is so that blocks Universal completely. The band will not allow the label to license so if you want the song you'll have to go to Def Leppard.

Greg Kihn and Todd Rundgren have also been doing this. There was a commercial for Can We Still Be Friends which I believe was a re-record.

On the digital front, the labels have not been compensating the artist correctly, under reporting royalties. There have been a lot of lawsuits regarding this issue.

As I've said before, Record Label accusing downloaders of being pirates is like the pot calling the kettle black. The Labels are the biggest pirates ripping off artists.

Archived