Tuner Upgrade suggestions?

Spatial

• Members

So I recently picked up a used Epiphone SG Special yesterday. Gave it a good setup and it plays and sounds great. I'm really liking it. I plan on doing a bit of upgrading/mods to this guitar and the first thing Id'e like to do is the tuners. They are my only complaint with this gutiar. They don't really hold ANY type of tuning well. I was told the ones on now are the stock tuners and here is a pic of them:fetch?id=31024828&d=1394133262fetch?id=31024829&d=1394133262

I really like the look of the gibson style tuners(not sure if thats what they are acutually called just how I know them) and would like to put some on that look like this:

SG headstock front.jpg

Any suggestions as to some quality and preferably inexpensive replacements? Any and all help is appreciated.

• Members

First, WELCOME to the forum.

Sorry for saying this : these tuners are about the sh**tiest on planet earth. I've had them before and never will again.

Decent tuners cost about the price I paid for that guitar so it just had to go.

I've replaced broken Gibson Kluson style tuners with the following :

- Grover Kluson style tuners

- Tonepros Kluson style tuners

Both work beautifully. And if you have tuning issues with these, you may start working on your nut, bridge lubrification, intonation, etc.

I like the Tonepros better because they come in nice cream colour for the plastic part.

Make sure to measure the diameters of the holes in your headstock and the headstock thickness before shopping around for new tuners (don't buy used).

BTW Congrats on your purchase. Apart from the tuners, this guitar is a no non-sense piece of rock 'n roll history with very decent pickups, a nice neck, and it looks badass. Have fun with it!

• Members

Mschafft:

A nice job would increase the value and quality of this gueetar.

---------------

I agree with quality, disagree with value. Mods almost never add more value to the guitar than the cost of the mods themselves. But that's not the point of modding anyway. Like stated previously, keep your old tuners, and swap them back in if you ever decide to sell.

• Members

If you install full sized Grover or Klusons, there is zero point in keeping the old tuners.

I mean, look, you're going to have to drill two extra holes per tuner to get the new tuners to fit, possibly you might have to ream as well. In this process, you'll probably fill the old holes since having holes on a headstock is sorta hideous. So by the time you think about installing the stock tuners, it'll probably be tough to do without redrilling holes, and people will then see the two extra holes you drilled per tuner as well so who really cares?

If you care about resale at all, that's where using tuners such as mini-Rotomatics would be smarter, since you can probably install those without drilling additional holes, or at least they would not be as visible.

• Members

Thanks for all the info guys.

mschafft:

You're right in chosing the lightest types of tuners for an Epiphone SG, they are notoriously prone to neck-diving otherwise. Thanks for the kudos!

-------------------------

I am absolutley OCD about neck dive. So far this guitar feels really comfortable, no neck dive whatsoever and I'de like to keep it that way. Based on all the info suggested thus farI think I'm going to go with the Kluson tuners. I'm pretty DIY capable, but I'm probabley going to take this to a tech, as I've never done this before. Oh and your'e welcome.:smileyhappy:

honeyiscool:

If you care about resale at all, that's where using tuners such as mini-Rotomatics would be smarter, since you can probably install those without drilling additional holes, or at least they would not be as visible.

-----------------------

I'm planning on moddifying this guitar a bit more so I'm not really concerned about resale. Once my new tuners are on I'm going to put a new nut on because I'm going to have it set up for B Standard Tuning(Thus WAY thicker Strings will be going on, plus I'de like a bone one to match the tuners). I'm also considering swapping out the stock pickups with the Matt Pike "Dirty Hesher" pickups that Lace sells, and possibly adding one of these pickguards:

1.)http://www.ebay.com/itm/PICKGUARD-BROWN-TORTOISE-SHELL-3-PLY-FULL-FACE-SIZE-FOR-GIBSON-SG-STANDARD-/360602084959?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item53f58f265f

2.)http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gibson-SG-Guitar-Solid-Sapele-Wood-Pickguard-Custom-Shop-Parts-/181105374866?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item2a2ab8b692

3.)http://www.ebay.com/itm/True-Custom-Shop-BIRDS-EYE-MAPLE-Wood-FULL-FACE-GIBSON-SG-Guitar-Pickguard-/121066591335?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item1c30219467

4.)http://www.ebay.com/itm/True-Custom-Shop-BUBINGA-Wood-FULL-FACE-GIBSON-SG-Guitar-Pickguard-USA-Made-/121039660705?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item1c2e86a6a1

I haven't made up my mind on if I'm even going to add a pickguard, but if I do it will definatley be one of thsoe 4. Since this guitar is going to be modified to such personal specifications, I'm not really concerned about resale, plus I got it for dirt cheap. Again Thanks for all the info guys.

Archived