New Tool Album: Progress Slow...

GreatDane

• Members

Tone Deaf wrote:

Love Tool, always have. I think Opiate is still one of my favorite tracks, followed closely by Sober.

I'm guessing one of the bad things mentioned was likely the scooter crash, no clue what the other would be. 

the other thing could indeed be that bowtie.

• Members

My friend loves them. There's a funny video overdub on youtube of Hitler complaining about no new Tool album. Apparently it's a common overdub, but it's still funny.

Anyway, 46 and 2 is my favorite track, and I think they're a very good band. Not my favorite, but I like them.

• Members

I was a fan of the first three discs.  I've never even listened to 10,000 Days.  I just sort of lost track of what the band was doing after Lateralus.  

I wish D'Amour was still with them.  His style of bass playing was a unique part of their eclectic sound on those albums.

Some favorite songs that comes to mind are Sober, Forty Six & 2, Lateralus, Aenema, Stinfist and Jimmy.  But I used to listen to Undertow, Aenema and Lateralus all the way through.  I never skipped tracks.  I haven't listened to them more recently.

Tool is the one band I coud never get any of my close friends interested in at all.  The drumming is very busy and complicated.  Maybe that's part of what turns some people off but I love it.  They have a very unique sound and groove.     

• Members

I followed them closely in the early 90s and went to a lot of their shows from 1992-2001.

IMO they lost a lot of their feel when D'Amour left. They were a very exciting and dangerous sounding band before Aenima. Since then they've gotten progressively drier, maybe even sterile. Maybe a third of Lateralus excited me, and maybe three songs on 10,000 Days.

I still follow them from a distance, and I still buy their music, although I haven't seen them live since 2001.

Personally, I still think it's a little sad that they aren't more prolific. I think many apologists will probably say they're like the Stanley Kubrick of heavy music, focusing on the best product they can deliver instead of worrying about deadlines. I do not think their slow productivity has resulted in a greater quality of work, however.

FWIW, I think the other "very bad thing" is most likely the death of a close family member of one of the band, like a mom or dad.

• Members

I saw them live in Nottingham UK for the 10'000 days tour. I clearly remember that feeling of standing at the exact center of the planet then. It didn't happen again until Eric McFadden hit the stage at some marginal blues festival two block away from my place about a year ago. These are extremely deep and talented performers IMHO, which doesn't mean that everything they do is sublime. Of course not, well strong impact on me anway.

• Members

At one point in the 90's a friend of mine worked at Volcano Records; their other big artist at the time was Matthew Sweet.  When you'd go to their offices, it was like Korea - except instead of North and South, there were Tool and Sweet sides.

• Members

Well if we're talking about what we'd rather listen to, I'd go with Porcupine Tree. Their vibe isn't too far away from Tool, and I consider them to be a far superior band. Mostly because I like their songs, etc. more, but that's what subjectivity is all about!

• Members

In Absentia is the first album that marks their current sound.  Heavier riffing mixed with some of their spacey and atmospheric older stuff.  If you dig it, then just go in order to Deadwing, Fear of a Blank Planet, and then The Incident.  You will find their best song (IMO) "Anesthetize" on Fear of a Blank Planet.  The Nil Recurring EP is part of the FOBP sessions and theme, and it's awesome.

Earlier albums like Stupid Dream and Lightbulb Sun are "transitional" albums.  They're less heavy, and they are really great.  "Even Less" is still played frequently live, and it's one of their best tracks.  The full-length (extended) version of the song is found on the Recordings compilation, and probably youtube.  Definitely worth the 14 minutes.

The older albums Up the Downstair, The Sky Moves Sideways, and Signify are more spacey, psychadelic, and atmospheric.  I like the remastered Up the Downstair the best of that bunch (the remaster has re-recorded live drums by Gavin Harrison, while the original album had drum machines - the original is long out of print and hard to find).  

Voyage 34 is worth a listen, but it's not essential, really.  It's pretty trippy, and it's supposed to be.

Don't listen to On the Sunday of Life, which is basically a bunch of demos.  The quality is inconsistent at best, and completely silly at worst.

I'm a big fan, so I may have gone on too long.  Anyway, so I don't derail completely, my opinion of Tool's last two albums is that they are good, but they don't grab me the way that many other albums do.

• Members

Tool is one of my favorite bands. I respect their penchant for creating quality songs, but at the end of the day wish they would remind themselves, it is just music. Which is not to take away from the power of what music is, but to remind that it is an art and art sometimes just needs to happen without too much refrain.

Archived