Warman pickups?

PunkKitty

• Members

I'm considering putting mini humbuckers in one of my guitars. Until I started searching for minis, I hadn't heard of Warman. I was looking for reviews. The prices are very good even with the currency conversion to USD. But I want to know that I'm spending my money wisely. If Warmans won't suit my purposes, I'll have to go with GFS, Duncan or Dimarzio. But I'm also weighing if this is just me wanting to experiment, or if it's a sonic option that I'd like to have in my collection.

• Members

As the minis, and other pickups, are used by some extremely respected Luthiers both in the UK ( Europe ) and USA, then I'm sure you would be more than happy with them - BUT - tell you what. If you want a pair, you fit them then find there's some fundamental problem or that you plain just don't like them then unwire, ship em back to me and I'll refund you in full, including the return airmail. Hows that sound ?

• Members

I got some of their humbucker sized p90's a few months back and gotta say don't hesitate! I was expecting the worse considering the price and lack of information on them. They transformed my epi dot! It now sounds better than I hoped when it was new! Really can't rate them enough. You won't find better at the price, and you'll be lucky to find tone like it at 3 times the price! Recommended

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Members

I put together a left handed les paul type guitar and used the Warman 12 gauge at the neck and the journeyman at the bridge .I coluldent be happier The 12 gauge gives out a smooth powerful sound that is just itching to break away and distort if you let it and being a 4 wire I can coil tap it ect . The journeyman is an excellent choice for the bridge It is only a 2 wire but thats no biggie .All in all I have saved a lot of money on not buying the typical PU like  Dimazio or Seymore Duncan , Lace  ect and still have the quality sound you would expect from a PU like the higher priced ones.Im currently building a 12 string les paul hollow Lefty body and will be using Warman PUs .

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Josi Warman wrote:

As the minis, and other pickups, are used by some extremely respected Luthiers both in the UK ( Europe ) and USA, then I'm sure you would be more than happy with them - BUT - tell you what. If you want a pair, you fit them then find there's some fundamental problem or that you plain just don't like them then unwire, ship em back to me and I'll refund you in full, including the return airmail. Hows that sound ?

so, what is the actual cost of a set of the zebra humbuckers?

• 1 year later...
  • Members

Hi Chaps! - Don't you think 'Chaps' is a bit more cultured than 'Guys'???!!!

Here's how I've just electrified my Takamine 'Lawsuit' acoustic guitar.

Firstly, I read a most thought-provoking post on this forum by someone with the 'handle' - 'Guitar Capo Guru', who certainly knew what he/she is talking about - it was superb advice to use transducer piezo pickups, rather than the 'under-saddle' type. I had already ordered a 'cheap and cheerful!' EQ pickup - it is a 'Chinese takeaway' - this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Acoustic-Gui...item3f2130e7ec

Trawling through ebay, I found the 'Warman' guitars website and asked my English cobber [that's the Antipodean word for 'friend'] to order me a pair [the pack contains 2] transducer piezo 25mm diameter pickups - [Warman Gold Medal] - costing a paltry £1.45 (I think). My cobber received both items very quickly and to cut the story short, all is now fitted in my 'Tak'. We have a saying 'Downunder' if something works really well: ' She goes like a bought one!'

I didn't use the 'under-saddle' pickup that came with the Chinese kit. Luckily, in my 'junk drawer', I found just the right size endpin jack [same as the Chinese 'under-saddle' pickup one] and twisted the red wires together and then the black wires of the 2 Warman piezos and soldered each colour wires to the respective colour wires of the endpin jack cable. You need a cable about 1 foot [300mm] long to reach the bridge from where the EQ is mounted.

Having cut the holes in the guitar, It was then just a matter of mounting the EQ and the battery/end-plug unit and affixing the cables and the piezo transducers to the guitar's interior by using double-sided sticky tape. The stuff I use sticks like sh1t to a boarding-house blanket!

One tip here: only cover half the piezo with sticky tape and stick one piezo just behind the bass side of the bridge [pins] and the other piezo to the treble side. Wow - my good ol' 'Tak' is truly transformed - so, thanks Mr. Chop Suey and thank you Josi Warman!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Hi Chaps! - I omitted to include the link for the Warman 'Gold Medallion' piezo transducer pickups that I refer to in my posting above - these are certainly the way to go and, of course, obviate the need to take off your guitar strings when fitting - saves a lot of time. The other bonus is that you don't have the chore of fitting the undersaddle piezo pickup, which requires removing and filing down the bridge; which, if you don't get that right upsets the action of the guitar, which in turn would require the further purchase of a new bridge piece.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Piezo-Transducer-Pickups-suitable-for-acoustic-guitar-banjo-cigar-box-/161249331220

In case my other link doesn't work try this .This is the link for the EQ that I bought - it works magnificently, and so does its tuner.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Acoustic-Guitar-4-Bands-Preamp-EQ-Pickup-C-MIC-Blend-Tuner-Piezo-Transducer-/271139792876?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item3f2130e7ec

I've since fitted new strings to my old Tak - the improvement in sound quality now is amazing!

• 6 months later...

Archived