I have Musical ADD

nuke_diver

• Members

There I've admitted it.   I jump around all the time and never properly learn anything.   I think its because I started older when I had already established that I liked almost all music rather than younger when anything that wasn't xxx (fill in the blank for the appropriate age perios) was crap.   Now I find it difficult to stay with something for a long period of time and often go off on random tangets for days or weeks before coming back to something only to find that I've forgotten it.   Lately it's been trying to learn jazz chords (since I rarely intentionally play extensions) and Tommy Emmanuel Finger style playing.   Who knows where I'll be next month.

How about you, focused or all over the place like me.   Should there be an intervention :p

• Members

I have actual ADD that extends to music to the exact same effect you describe. I can't learn a song the whole way through to save my life. Like I have been learning Seek and Destroy for literally ten years, and if I keep going this way I MAY get it nailed before I die. Scales...aw gawd. Took me a year and a half to learn C major scale in all positions on the fretboard.

Like buddy said, I was forced to learn whole songs when I was in a band, but I can't seem to do it on my own.

• Members

nuke_diver wrote:

There I've admitted it.   I jump around all the time and never properly learn anything.   I think its because I started older when I had already established that I liked almost all music rather than younger when anything that wasn't xxx (fill in the blank for the appropriate age perios) was crap.   Now I find it difficult to stay with something for a long period of time and often go off on random tangets for days or weeks before coming back to something only to find that I've forgotten it.   Lately it's been trying to learn jazz chords (since I rarely intentionally play extensions) and Tommy Emmanuel Finger style playing.   Who knows where I'll be next month.

How about you, focused or all over the place like me.   Should there be an intervention
:p

a little variety is good - keeps the interest level high and it's nice to have a few things in various states of completion to keep nimble.  

but, i tend to be a very focused musician.  my internal struggle isn't ADD, but it is impatience.  i focus on one particular thing (technique, song, etc.) and pummel the crap out of it until i have it down.  then i move onto either something different or something slightly more evolved from what i had just been working on previously.  

i believe it comes, more recently, from the fact that i have very little actual free time to focus on practicing, so i have to use that time as effectively and efficiently as possible.  but i've always been a focused person when it comes to music.  i'm not an incessant "noodler" (although it can be a great rut-buster on occasion).

• Members

Yes, I have musical ADD too. So many 1/2 and 3/4 learned early Sabbath tunes. And I engage in too much damn noodling and tone chasing - and I'm the impatient sort too. Goes great with my low level OCD - but you'd think that would keep me focused... naa.

• Members

I have it too and I started when I was younger.  I think it's a result of having so much music easily available.  When I started getting into music I did one of those 10 cds for $.01 type of things so I had like 10 cds for a year or so that I listened to a lot.    Then I got 5-6 more over the next year or so.  I really wore those cds out.  Plus, learning how to play was more of a process so I would constantly play along with the same 4-5 cds trying to get things to sound decent.

Now, with things like i-Tunes, Youtube, and spotify I can hear so much music.... even stuff I really wouldn't want to buy, but enjoy listening to.  In one day I might listen to a Coltrane album, live Eric Gales album, Eric Johnson album and watch live stuff on youtube of Eric Gales, Frank Gambale, and some guy who lives in Washington DC and cops Curtis Mayfield style playing.    

Right now I got a playlist in spotify playing that's got about 40 songs with EJ, Gambale, the new PGP album, and Yngwie.  Back in the day I had a discman with one cd at a time.

• Members

Yer Blues that is right on.  I roll about 20 stations on Pandora that cover from classical ->jazz-Blues->metal and all stuff inbetween.  I'm always hearing something I like and think oh I should learn that.   I often then start but get something else that I want to learn and move to that.   Its like eating at a buffet you can never have as much of everything you want

Archived