Bought guitar on ebay, USPS lost it. How to proceed?

niceguy

• Members

I bought a guitar on ebay using paypal.  USPS lost the package.

Anyone have experience with this problem? Am I right in thinking that I should just get a full refund from the seller straight away and then it's his problem?

• Members

niceguy wrote:

I bought a guitar on ebay using paypal.  USPS lost the package.

Anyone have experience with this problem? Am I right in thinking that I should just get a full refund from the seller straight away and then it's his problem?

Yes sir...pay-pal will refund your money since it was not delivered. It is the sellers responsibility to provide delivery to your door is the way pay-pal views it. So if it can't be tracked to your door & or signed for by you then it's on him.

• Members

Thanks everyone! I contacted the seller and also opened a case on PayPal, so I should be covered. I haven't heard back from the seller yet, so I'm glad I also opened the case.

When I spoke to USPS, they say a package has 14 days to arrive, and it's been 14 days.  Also, the tracking scans don't show any activity at all after it left the seller's hometown.

Regardless, ebay says I can open a case if I haven't received the package within the specified delivery time. And the auction stated the delivery time as 7 days.

I feel a great deal better!

• Members

The way I see it, it's not the seller's fault.  Insurance and the post office should pay out the value to you, Pay Pal shouldn't stick it to him.  The USPS shows it was delivered, that's the end of the seller's obligation.  He got paid, he delivered, end of story concerning him.  

However, tracking shows you didn't receive it either so it shouldn't be on you.  Hence, why the USPS should pay you off the amount you paid for it, and you just have to go find another guitar to buy.

Archived