Guitar Myths

mschafft

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Not so much a "myth", but I thought (when I just started playing and had never held a Strat) that a whammy bar was a complex mechanical device where turning the arm would move the saddles back and forth on some sort of gear system. Wasn't till I saw a video of Steve Vai playing the Star Spangled Banner at some event (with a tight close up of the bridge) that I realized how they actually work.

• Members

When I first started playing, I thought that the number of knobs on your guitar determined how nice it was. My cheap Strat copy had only 2 knobs, while my friend's nicer Squier Strat had 3. By this logic, I naturally assumed that the Jaguar was the best guitar. If I had seen one of those 3-pickup, 6-knob guitars, my mind would have been blown! Lol

• Members

Long ago I was told that the kind of wood some parts of an electric guitar were made of, had some kind of influence on the tone. Later I realized that this is true only so long as the listener's eyes are open.

• Members

Ratae Coritanorum wrote:

That pratice makes you good

I would add the corollary - that great players got to be great without lots of practice.  They just magically sprang from the womb able to play Paganini's Caprices at 160bpm, or able to write amazing songs.  Regardless how much you believe in "talent," it doesn't have a whole lot to do with success.  It might give you a head start, but it's not going to take you across the finish line (if there is such a thing in music).

• Members

There seem to be lots of folks here who think nothing makes a difference to the sound of a guitar. Everything to them is marketing BS. I think they run their Squiers through a lot of distortion and then come online to froth about how you can't tell the difference between that and a high end guitar. :)

Archived