hot or not: new Roadworn 50s tele

Mad Tele

• Members

they changed a few things. Now it comes with a black guard (50s accurate), smooth steel saddles (early 1950 accurate), and less body wear. Unfortunately the neck wear still looks incredibly fake. I think somehow they managed to make the neck look worse, which is no small feat as it looked terrible before. also the old necks were a really nice soft V shape. these are labled C, not sure if they changed it because the old ones were labled C as well but actually werent.

still, these are really nice players. If i didnt have 5 teles, 2 blackguards already id buy one. 

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TeleRW50BLD?utm_source=CSE&utm_medium=PPC&utm_campaign=none&utm_term=TeleRW50BLD&zmam=89202644&zmas=1&zmac=7&zmap=TeleRW50BLD&SID=0

• Members

Mad Tele wrote:

I think somehow they managed to make the neck look worse, which is no small feat as it looked terrible before. 

I agree, a friend of mine picked one up, and the fretboard wear looked like hell..  His trick was rubbing in grease from the tie-rods on his car, and then buffing the hell out of it... LOL

• Members

1. I LOVE the relic job, ignore those haters

2. I LOVE the white pickguard. My CS 59 Esquire has a white pickguard and I've always dug the look and I already have black guards on my nocaster, danny gatton [i believe the former owner replaced the white one it originally came with and put a black one on. wish he kept it white], 52AVRI Tele and my Am Dlx Butterscotch tele

3. The weight varies but many were feather weight light. My is really light but the lightest one I held was at GC in Westwood CA. Guy wouldn't make a deal on it but my bro in Hollywood GC gave me the bro price of 600 out the door. Blondes are ash too.

4. The 50s RW blondes play great and feel great. Not too far off from the nocaster in my opinion.

I put a lil 59 seymour duncan in the bridge and nocaster neck pup and got rid of the texmex pups. also put in 6 saddles because for a while it was a keef 5 string open G but I turned it back into reg 6 string. I made my 52 tele and am dlx into 5 string open G.

As I continue to thin the herd, I'm going to have a real hard time getting rid of my RW 50s Blonde tele. and it's better than the Baja. I've played the baja and it's not in the same league...again my opinion.

• Members

photon9 wrote:

For a bill more I can get an Am. Std. with case.

Pass.

I am not a fan of most Fender American Standards. I love the American Vintage line but not the standards.

So here is a case where the MIM is superior to the USA. Yeah you get HSC w/the USA and only a gigbag with the RW but all those posts on this forum about MIM is just as good as US well here's a perfect example.

My RW bought stock off the GC floor played great w/o set up. I only had it set up as I was modding and changing strings and going into open tuning.

I've got many Cst Shops and this RW is very very close in quality.

Nitro finish [Am Std doesn't have that]. The necks on these teles are also pretty fat [like nocaster] and they feel great. Yeah they went overboard on the relicing on the neck but they still feel great.

I've owned 2 Am Std teles and I dumped them. They both did not play as great as my Blonde RW Tele.

AND you don't have to worry about dings! It's a great playing beater!

by the way the standard Craigslist price on these is between 500-600

• Members

I like it so .. HOT.

I don't go out of my way to buy relics, but It wouldn't be a deal breaker If I liked the rest of the guitar. The kind of finish it has is really low on my list of priorities when Im buying a new guitar. Im mainly interested in how it feels, plays and sounds. . if thats all good I couldn't care less whether it was reliced or nitro/poly. I buy guitars for myself to enjoy, I dont care what other people think of them. ANd yes Ive watched myself play in the mirror many times to see how cool I look. :cattongue:

Ive found the best way to get a natural relic is to get a few cans of nitro from Reranch and paint your own guitar. Im so terrible at refinishing that both my Strat and Tele came out with some nice relicing with plenty of chips and dings. :catlol:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Of course, all the relic haters miss out on one of the big reasons why so many players like the phenomenon: relic guitars often feel great.  The Road Worn series are killer guitars irrespective of the finish.

• Members

The good thing with the relic trend : I expect my beat up mij keith style tele will hold its value.

Now with all the respiratory issues I've had recently I'm not relicing a guitar in the foreseeable future. Never have actually.

Archived