Steve Vai: "I enjoy watching anyone play the guitar at any level."

GreatDane

• Members

slvrsrpnt wrote:

The Attitude Song is my favorite Vai tune.  I enjoy watching Steve as much as hearing him play, he is quite theatrical and amusing besides being an amazing player.

Is it just me or does it look like Kenneally is playing a setneck Jem?

• Members

Jkater wrote:

I like his attitude. Yes, very down to earth and appreciative of things. "I don't judge musicians and I don't vote" is sig worthy.

I completely agree...well except for me...I judge myself all the time.  But then I don't really consider myself a musician so I guess I don't.  Nice to see a great player who isn't full of themselves and sees where they come from still (everyone was once a beginner and couldnt make a C chord).  

• Members

This is going to come across to some as very strange, but here goes.

I like just about everything about Steve Vai except his music. Nice guy, super knowledgeable about music, fun to watch play, staggering technique, and must be cool to hang out with. But his music has never grown on me beyond a superficial level.

I love the quote, though, and it's another thing I can like about him. There are so many really good players who turn their noses up at beginners, and for Vai to say he would like watching anyone play at any level is really admirable. Good for him. He's an ambassador of the electric guitar.

• Members

I like Vai sometimes. I definitely like him better as a person than a player (based on interviews, etc. anyway). Some of his stuff is cool, because he often sounds like he's writing a musical piece, rather than your average backing-track-for-soloing lile Satriani often does.

Archived