things musicians say

GreatDane

• Members

sharing some interesting, insightful and sometimes provocative quotes from musicians that i've collected over the years.  i've got more.  this is just a few to get started.

Steve Albini

"Know what you're trying to do before you do it. Turning knobs at random isn't enlightening any more than throwing paint at a wall blindfolded will let you paint a nice picture."

"I don't think anyone has exhausted the range of sound possible in a conventional rock band, but people do become slaves to their own easiest techniques."

"There is a lot of use of ProTools in professional studios, but this is mostly for the special effects it allows, not for sound quality. These special effects soon fall out of fashion, and I don't think this trend will define studios permanently."

"Find people who think like you and stick with them. Make only music you are passionate about. Work only with people you like and trust. Don't sign anything."

GG Allin

"No one comes to my shows so they'll feel safe and comfortable."

Ronnie James Dio

"The best subjects are always people, who never fail to amaze me by their unpredictability."

how about you?  got any favorite musician quotes?

• Members

David Bowie

I re-invented my image so many times that I'm in denial that I was originally an overweight Korean woman.

It would be my guess that Madonna is not a very happy woman. From my own experience, having gone through persona changes like that, that kind of clawing need to be the center of attention is not a pleasant place to be.

Dave Mustaine

If you guys are going to be throwing beer bottles at us, at least make sure they're full.

I like jazz, but I could never play it. You just sit there with a  guitar the size of a Chevy on your chest, wearing a stupid hat, playing the same  solo for an hour.

James Hetfield

Yeah (in varying styles of vocal delivery in a lot of Metallica songs).

• Members

GreatDane wrote:

sharing some interesting, insightful and sometimes provocative quotes from musicians that i've collected over the years.  i've got more.  this is just a few to get started.

Steve Albini

"Know what you're trying to do before you do it. Turning knobs at random isn't enlightening any more than throwing paint at a wall blindfolded will let you paint a nice picture."

"I don't think anyone has exhausted the range of sound possible in a conventional rock band, but people do become slaves to their own easiest techniques."

"There is a lot of use of ProTools in professional studios, but this is mostly for the special effects it allows, not for sound quality. These special effects soon fall out of fashion, and I don't think this trend will define studios permanently."

"Find people who think like you and stick with them. Make only music you are passionate about. Work only with people you like and trust. Don't sign anything."

GG Allin

"No one comes to my shows so they'll feel safe and comfortable."

Ronnie James Dio

"The best subjects are always people, who never fail to amaze me by their unpredictability."

how about you?  got any favorite musician quotes?

Jimi Hendrix: "Well,Well, Well...I see that we meet again"

Rob Tyner: "Kick out the Jams Mutha{censored}as!"

Keith Moon: "The truth? The truth as you want to hear it? Oh no my dear boy, you couldn't afford it"

Bob Dylan: "He not busy being born is busy dyin'"

Archived