So what kind of an amp person are you then?

Special J

• Members

Furthering the amp discussion (cuz I never open that other sub-forum), I'm wondering if you identify yourself, or maybe more specifically your sound or tone with a particular amp or group of amps.

The 3 major groups would obviously be Fender people, Marshall people, and Vox people. Maybe you own all three, but do you consider one your main sound? Or is there another brand you totally identify with even if it might be a take one of the "big three"?

Are you in an original band, where you're trying to define your own sound, or in a cover band where you're trying to cover a bunch of different sounds with one amp? If you use a modelling amp, do you hang on one particular setting a lot?

I was a Fender amp guy for years, with a brief stint as a Marshallish guy (played a Laney Pro Tube, which is a JCM800-like circuit). Now I find myself really identifying with Vox-like amps. Though I play around with a bunch of different sounds in the studio, my Hayseed 30 is definitely my "main" amp. 

• Members

I am a Vox guy. I play originals, mostly, but some classic rock covers for fun with another group if guys. I like the Vox sound a whole lot, and I've grown to dislike the sounds associated with the other two. I guess it's all about the midrange.

• Members

Fender guy all the way, the sound of a cranked up twin still does it for me. I've tried other stuff but always come back to fender. I played in blues/rock cover bands for years and was always able to get the tones I needEd with a few pedals. Have a twin reverb, prosonic, tweed pro Jr, the twin, and a musicman 130hd. I love them all.

• Members

I gigged with a Mesa 50 caliber and Dual Rectifier for years ( the room dictated which one), great amps that NEVER broke down.  I've always loved the classic Les Paul thru a Marshall tones. Not overly gainy like JCM 800, more like the late 60s/early 70s Plexis. My Kemper Profiler has a LOT of great Marshall profiles as well as the Mesa Road King ( I dig the Vintage channel) the 65 amp Tupelo and the Fargen Plexi. Great Vox models as well.  As a teenager, I had a great 60s Bassman but strangely I'm not really a Fender guy these days.

• Members

I was a Line 6 man for about 10 years. Truthfully, it wasn't because I thought the tone was incredible. It was because I loved having a single floorboard that gave me so many options, amps, effects, volume and wah. I just really latched on to the technology and convenience.

• Members

I like Voxes for the relatively v clear voiced just overdriven sound. If you sent them right ( and you do have to eq differently for diff guitars) they are wonderful. Use mine in a covers band. I agree that they can be a but thin. Easily remedied with a pedal usually. My AC30 likes p90 guitars best followed by good telecasters. Not quite so great with humbuckers

• Members

So many great amps, so little time.

I most definitely am an Orange guy.  Love the tone, responsiveness, simple controls, how my TT takes pedals well even without an effects loop, and how solidly they are made.  I just wish that they weren't...orange.

• Members

@BG76

Everyone being entitled to their own opinion, of course, I think that the country of manufacture is even less important when it comes to amps. Also, who says you can't repair an imported amp? Or even if they need it all that often?

• Members

I really love the tone of my Mesa Boogie Lonestar Special 1x12" combo. Just switching to the drive channel and having it driven hard sounds great, even at 5 watts. For incredibly sparkling and louder sounds, I still like my Fender DeVille 2x12" combo.

We are a cover band and I sing lead. I need simplicity when it comes to switching sounds. We cover everything from Pink Floyd and The Who to Maroon 5 and 3 Doors Down. That said, I want MY sound, so I don't get hung up on their tone. I'm never going to be able to cover all that ground, so I just play what I feel and try to get it close without being obsessive.

My pedal board is relatively simple. Delay, chorus, overdrive, wah and the obligatory volume pedal and tuner.

• Members

Fender Blackface for me. I like to play right on the edge of breakup and control clean/crunch by going between 8-10 on the guitar volume knob. Basically don't use any saturated distortion unless I'm playing solos, in which case I step on a pedal. I'm all about a clear, balanced, clean sound, and that's a Fender BF.

• Members

I am all three I guess. But I am currently travelling and sold most of amps and guitars before leaving. I only have a 1973 Marshall jmp50 now, but my main go to amp was my fender supersonic. It just had my sound, the sound I was looking for. and with that I was playing originals in a band. I unfortunately also sold my AC30, and a Marshall JVM. So all three, but mostly fender, even tho i only have a Marshall.

Archived