Glenn Hughes: "Black Country Communion is over"

GreatDane

• Members

Following blues rock guitarist JOE BONAMASSA's comment that BLACK COUNTRY COMMUNION - the band featuring vocalist/bassist Glenn Hughes (DEEP PURPLE, BLACK SABBATH, TRAPEZE), drummer Jason Bonham (LED ZEPPELIN) and Derek Sherinian (DREAM THEATER) - "is pretty much done," Hughes has confirmed via Facebook that the band "is over." 

Hughes writes on Facebook:" Just so it's crystal... BCC is over... Joe left and will not allow us to keep the name... nice huh? Jason Derek and I will continue with a different name when the time is right." 

p17lgbqp5r16jtk9t1ovu1kuo1iiq4.jpg

Speaking to Corbin Reiff from Premierguitar.com, Bonamassa was recently asked about the status of the band: 

"As far as I

• Members

I love Bonamassa - he's a great player, and he always brings 110%.  I do think JB was stronger in his solo efforts and side projects w/ Beth Hard and Rock Candy Funk Party.  He seemed a lot less dynamic in BCC, but it was still a great band.  I still liked BCC a lot as well and I would have liked to see them continue a long time. I did think their first album was much better than their 2nd.  Haven't heard much from Afterglow, it's been on my radar, just too much else out there.

IMHO, these things happen.  It's not a black mark on any member, it's just the way the business goes.

Personally, there are a million great guitar players out there.  I'd love to see BCC continue with someone else.  Joe's great, but not irreplacable in BCC since the other guys are so strong.

• Members

i just saw an ad for jason bonham playing with heart, they do a half hour set at the end of all zep tunes. 

someone once said Joe B has the stage presence of a roadie, lol. hes got chops and tone for sure but something about him leaves me cold. 

• Members

Don't jump on the Joe Bonamassa hate bandwagon just yet: this looks like a giant case of "he said/he said".  Joe said he was more than happy to see BCC continue with another guitarist (of course he bitchily said that they couldn't find any "out of work guitar players in L.A. that they could get.") while it's only Glenn who's saying that Joe's trying to hang onto the name. 

I suspect a plague on both their houses.

• Members

BydoEmpire wrote:

I love Bonamassa - he's a great player, and he always brings 110%.
  I do think JB was stronger in his solo efforts and side projects w/ Beth Hard and Rock Candy Funk Party.  He seemed a lot less dynamic in BCC, but it was still a great band.
 I still liked BCC a lot as well and I would have liked to see them continue a long time. I did think their first album was much better than their 2nd.  Haven't heard much from Afterglow, it's been on my radar, just too much else out there.

IMHO, these things happen.  It's not a black mark on any member, it's just the way the business goes.

Personally, there are a million great guitar players out there.  I'd love to see BCC continue with someone else.  Joe's great, but not irreplacable in BCC since the other guys are so strong.

Well said. I'm a HUGE JB fan (going to see him in NYC in May again). I meant to post his comments from PG last week, but couldn't paste. Anyway, there were grumblings a few months ago from Glenn that they couldn't tour because Joe was always so busy (and selfish). I'm bummed this came to an end, but, frankly, their first album was the best. The last two were very "meh" and I haven't given them much listen at all.

• Members

Alecto wrote:

Don't jump on the Joe Bonamassa hate bandwagon just yet: this looks like a giant case of "he said/he said".  Joe said he was more than happy to see BCC continue with another guitarist (of course he bitchily said that they couldn't find any "out of work guitar players in L.A. that they could get.") while it's only Glenn who's saying that Joe's trying to hang onto the name. 

I suspect a plague on both their houses.

I'd be happy to step in.  :smileytongue:

• Members

kayd_mon wrote:

I checked out four of his albums from the local library, and I didn't hear any blues, really. All his stuff sounded like rock, albeit the kind I don't generally listen to, unless I'm listening to 70s rock.

lol. he is considered the modern blues torchbearer.   unless you only heard the BCC stuff which is more 70s buttrock than blues. (but thats why I like it )

• Members

I've only listened to BCC on youtube, and only a couple tracks. I can't remember the names of the albums I borrowed, but the reason I said they didn't sound like blues is because the guitar was gain-soaked, and the progressions sounded like blues - influenced rock. I think he sounds good, tone-wise, and he can rip it up, but the albums just weren't for me. They sounded pretty standard, without much in the way of adventurous songwriting or whatever. To each his/her own, of course. I would never knock a fan of his, and I'm definitely not one that has only 'refined' musical tastes (I love Katy Perry, and not just her boobs).

• Members

kayd_mon wrote:

I've only listened to BCC on youtube, and only a couple tracks. I can't remember the names of the albums I borrowed, but the reason I said they didn't sound like blues is because the guitar was gain-soaked, and the progressions sounded like blues - influenced rock. I think he sounds good, tone-wise, and he can rip it up, but the albums just weren't for me. They sounded pretty standard, without much in the way of adventurous songwriting or whatever. To each his/her own, of course. I would never knock a fan of his, and I'm definitely not one that has only 'refined' musical tastes (I love Katy Perry, and not just her boobs).

BCC was not a blues band.

• Members

I know that. I was referring to Bonamossa's solo albums, which sound much more rock than blues. We don't call every band with blues-style soloing "blues," and listening to Bonamossa, I wonder how he gets the blues label, when he's a rock guitarist, IMO. Yes, you hear some blues, but as mentioned before, you hear blues in countless other rock bands.

Calling him a blues player is almost like giving an extra nod of credibility. If we all labeled him a rock guitarist, we'd call it boring rock with good solos.

Maybe it's pointless to argue labels in music. Back to the OP... Joe B left a band I didn't care about, which sucks for them, but at least his fans get to keep hearing his solo stuff (which is probably why they like him anyway). Joe said it himself, anyone can replace him in that kind of band.

Archived