Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the most gibson-y fender?

I might be looking for something that looks better than that silly gimmicky supersonic and comes with two humbuckers that can get me as close as possible to the sound of an sg or les paul, without losing the playability and comfyness of a fender neck and 'countoured' light weight body...

That pretty much narrows it down to a blacktop jaguar hh and a hh strat...So should I put aside my aversion for the shorter scale of the jag, or will do the strat do just as good at mimicking lp/sg type tones? 

I know the title suggests I'm a hige noob. I'm not. I've decided I should stop trying to convince myself I can get into gibsons though. I keep buying and selling em again. I figured I still love the way they sound, I just always keep going back to my fenders, with the un-sticky necks, comfortable body shapes, etc...

Cheers.

This.

-
    Spam:
    FS: none
    I'm a GOLD TRADER
    Good deals: rusholmeruffian, rrancani, JohnnyRaincheck, mhn433, super56k, wagdog, cratz2, rxkid75, teletaylor
    Shamelessness: I do illustration & graphic design by commission, check my blogfolio: -- Matt White's Art --

Comment

• drivelikejoewho
      drivelikejoewho commented
      Editing a comment

twotimingpete wrote:

This.

At 2:47 he playes "Paid in Cigarettes" by Hot Snakes. Best. Guitar. Review. Ever.

Thanks for posting!

Well, they're both . 75" off the Gibson scale in either direction. I'd think you'd get used to either one in a week or so. The short scale isn't that much to get used to.
    Guitars: 3 Fender Strats, Fender Jazzmaster, Squier Bullet, 2 Gibson Les Pauls, Gibson ES-339, Gibson Les Paul Jr. Special, Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone Dot, Epiphone SG, PRS SE Custom 24, Ibanez AS73, Hamer Duotone, Larrivee D-03R, Takamine EG5013S, 1951 Epiphone Devon, Ibanez SR305 (bass)Pedal Chain: BBE Green Screamer -> MXR Distortion III -> Boss CE-5 -> EH Stereo Pulsar -> Boss DD-20 -> BBE Boosta GrandeAmps: Vox AC4, AC15, AC30, Pathfinder 10, DA5SoundCloud

Comment

Try to find an HH Toronado.  It's proper scale and has the four-knob configuration.  A dual-humbucker still feels like a Tele ...

Comment

Expected to see at least one Jim Root Strat or Tele.

Was not disappointed.

Although that's not my answer. My answer would be a Tele with a humbucker in the bridge and a rosewood fretboard. The body should have a warm wood, not too bright.

On paper, at least, it would seem the best Strat to get might be the American Special Mahogany Strat. I'd bet the pickup should be swapped out for a PAF style humbucker, but even then, I doubt it would be a close match to a Les Paul.

Fender American Special Mahogany Strat

Attached Files
    Originally Posted by csm

The first, and most frequently violated rule of punk is: THERE ARE NO RULES.

"You know, once you've had that guitar up so loud on the stage, where you can lean back and volume will stop you from falling backward, that's a hard drug to kick." — David Gilmour

Fender :: Gibson :: Epiphone :: Ibanez :: Yamaha
    Blackstar :: Orange :: Vox

Comment

What about a Fender FMT Tele

Mahogany body, set neck SD Peraly Gates Bridge and SF 59 neck.

-Kit

Comment

• noisebloom
        noisebloom commented
        Editing a comment

kit_strong wrote:

What about a Fender FMT Tele

Mahogany body, set neck SD Peraly Gates Bridge and SF 59 neck.

-Kit

I think we may have a winner.

I'm telling you, man.  Find yourself an HH Toronado ...

ToronadoHH

Attached Files

Comment

starcaster

Attached Files

you can't control the wind but you can learn to sail

contentment is true wealth

Comment

I love my Cherry PP Strat-O-Sonic!

I would say its close to a dual P90 SG.
        Information is not knowledge
        Knowledge is not wisdom