No announcement yet.

250k pot vs. 500k pot + tone rolled off

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 250k pot vs. 500k pot + tone rolled off

Are there substantive differences between these two things?

2nd part of the question: what's the best pot configuration for a telecaster with a typical bridge pickup and a humbucker in the neck position?

-
    Spam:
    FS: none
    I'm a GOLD TRADER
    Good deals: rusholmeruffian, rrancani, JohnnyRaincheck, mhn433, super56k, wagdog, cratz2, rxkid75, teletaylor
    Shamelessness: I do illustration & graphic design by commission, check my blogfolio: -- Matt White's Art --

Part one: No idea.

Part two: All I can tell you is how I did mine. 500k pots with a resistor between the bridge pickup and switch. Simulates the additional load of 250k pots.
    We're not in Kansas anymore.

Comment

• gardo
      gardo commented
      Editing a comment

Elias Graves wrote:
      Part one: No idea.

Part two: All I can tell you is how I did mine. 500k pots with a resistor between the bridge pickup and switch. Simulates the additional load of 250k pots.

Thanks for the info  this is something I would like to do on a future build

We're not in Kansas anymore.

Comment

• Mad Tele
      Mad Tele commented
      Editing a comment

500K pots will work for any single coil as long as its not really low wind (like under 6K) which can be a bit bright and harsh. Nothing that cant be fixed with the tone knob mind you. 

The bucker is gonna want to see a 500K or it may be muffled, and dark. So, IMO the best combo is 500K, you'll have a bright bridge that may need to be tamed with a tone knob or a non-treble bleed volume knob can tame it, and your neck will sound nice and open and punchy. 

the rules of 250K for singles and 500K for buckers are not hard and fast. In general singles can tolerate 500K well, and 500 is indicated for buckers.

IMO 500K is the most versatile value for a pot. I use them for p90s, Minihums, and  Broadcaster Tele pickups that are very overwound (hot). in the tele they are really brought to life, no mud, and the neck I can use the tone pot sweep all the way through,  remember Fender started using 1meg pots in the 70s,in their teles and jags... that would tear your head off!

Id put 500K tone and volume and use a .047 cap for tone (the higher cap value=gets darker quicker in the sweep, which may be useful with the bridge being so bright, you may need to just turn it down a tad)

Info removed as I misread the post.

Comment

Working...
    X