Duncan P-Rails - anybody have them - how do you like them - how does the P90 tone sound?

Notes_Norton

• Members

I own a Parker DF that I dearly love. I love it so much I don't want to play any of my other guitars anymore. It has the S S S/H pickup design similar to a fat strat.

I want another, but there is no sense getting two of a kind.

The only thing I'm missing on my Parker is the P90 sound. The P90 is my favorite sounding pickup

I play in a lot of places (I do one-nighters for a living) and a couple of times a year I get into a non-single-coil club. So when I used to bring my ES-330 to those places, it would give me a problem. 

So I'm going to have a new DF built with Duncar P-Rails on it. They seem to be a good answer, P90 pickups that can double as a rail or humbucker.

Now I know that there will be compromises in that kind of pickup. Nothing is going to sound exactly like a P90 if there is another coil or magnet nearby.

For the people who have had P90s and P-Rails, the question is, how good is the P90 tone? Is it 'close enough". 

I replaced humbuckers with a GFS Mean 90s on another guitar, and it was close enough (and delightful). If anyone has P-Rails and Mean 90s can you compare the tones?

Thanks,

Notes

• Members

I have one in my Parker P38. I think it's a good pup. The P90 is really close, and the HB sounds just like a HB should sound. The rail is thin, but can be useful. Overall, I really like it. It's different, versatile, and sounds good.

Archived