Slayer moving on without Jeff Hanneman?

GreatDane

• Members

from classicrock.com:

v

Slayer's Kerry King has hinted the band could move on without Jeff Hanneman, who's been sidelined for two years after sustaining a near-fatal spider bite.

The guitarists haven't spoken to each other in some time, leading King to wonder whether Hanneman has any intention of rejoining the thrash giants. With two songs underway for their next album, King reveals he'd be comfortable with stand-in man Gary Holt of Exodus making his presence more permanent.

That could leave Slayer facing the future with just two founding members remaining after they dropped drummer Dave Lombardo for their Australian tour following a contractual dispute. Temporary replacement Jon Dette has already discussed the chances of his return becoming a full-time commitment.

King tells Metal Obsession: "I don't have an update

• Members

Man... I hadn't even heard about the bite. That sucks... but it IS pretty frickin hardcore!

I saw Slayer with Venom and Exodus in about 1984 or 1985. It was... crazy. They were never my favorite, but I always respected them for having a unique sound. Definitely hate to hear about Jeff.

• Members

cratz2 wrote:

Man... I hadn't even heard about the bite. That sucks... but it IS pretty frickin hardcore!

I saw Slayer with Venom and Exodus in about 1984 or 1985. It was... crazy. They were never my favorite, but I always respected them for having a unique sound. Definitely hate to hear about Jeff.

cratz!  great to see you posting.

seriously wild that a guy in Slayer gets taken out by a spider bite.  i saw slayer along with megadeth and anthrax on the clash of the titans tour back in the 90s.  they killed it and had the crowd eating out of their hand.  they catch some crap these days, but i have a huge place in my heart for Slayer.  

• Members

Is it me or is it a coincidence that every time Slayer prepare to go to Australia they're hit by some sort of misfortune? First Tom's back problems, then Jeff's arm infection and now recently Dave's (temporary) expulsion.

Anyway, It must be 2 years now since Jeff gave any sign of life. I remember the interview for Classic Rock magazine where he seemed kind of optimistic and there's his guest appearance at the Big 4 concert in Indio. Since then, nada. Even if he fully recovers, I wonder if he'll still be able to play the music again with the same intensity night after night. His picking technique has always struck me as rash and tense, if not very uncomfortable.

Archived