Queensryche release first song with new singer

GreatDane

• Members

from classicrock.com:

v

The version of Queensryche fronted by Todd La Torre have released "Redemption," which is their first track with the new vocalist.

The prog metal veterans, who dramatically sacked Geoff Tate last year, will release their next album on June 10 via Century Media.

Bassist Jackson recently said: "Queensryche is excited to begin writing this next chapter in our career with Century Media. We are pleased to call them partners on this journey. We are also thankful for all of the fans who have supported us from day one and helped us to get where we are today."

Tate has formed his own version of Queensryche following a court ruling that allows both parties to use the name until a final decision in November. His band will play 1988 classic album Operation: Mindcrime in full on tour in April in the US, while La Torre's version of the band tour the UK.

here's the youtube:

WTF?!  isn't queensryche and geoff tate like PB&J?  or do you dig this and think they're a better band without the master of vocal range at the mic?  or do you just not give a {censored}?

• Members

I haven't listened to these guys in years as my tastes have moved in different directions. However, I was a big fan up through the Rage for Order album. I started to lose interest in them (and the genre) around the time of Operation Mindcrime.

That being said, Geoff Tates voice was so distinctive, that any band labeled Queensryche without him on vocals is a swing and a miss. At this point, with only three original members, and being without Tate, they should just move on to a new thing (including new name) altogether. Tate should move on to something new as well. Not really sure we need a Queensryche anymore in 2013, but if these guys want to reinvent themselves, I think they could do something fairly interesting.

• Members

Can't hear it yet, 'cause I'm at work, so I'll reserve judgment on the music until later.

Geoff Tate with a backup band does not equal Queensryche. The rest of Queensryche with another singer, even a singer that isn't up to what Tate did, is still Queensryche.

Black Sabbath was still Black Sabbath after Ozzy left -- although to his credit, I don't think Ozzy ever tried to claim that he alone was Black Sabbath.

Pink Floyd was still Pink Floyd, even after Roger Waters tried to declare unilaterally that Pink Floyd was no more.

I expect Tate will lose in court, as he should. He treated his bandmates like dog{censored}, and he deserves to be treated likewise.

• Members

I agree with Snake. They have been LOST without DeGarmo. I really don't think they've done anything worthwhile since Empire. And Mindcrime was an epic.

This new guy is pretty good, but I think it's lame that he's clearly trying to SOUND JUST LIKE TATE. I dunno. I'll reserve further judgment until the album comes out.

It's very hard to replace someone after 30 years. No matter what, people are going to have a hard time adjusting and accepting the new guy. It didn't work for Priest, Maiden or Crue... Then again, Dio was the best singer of Sabbath, by far...

• Members

Snake wrote:

Chris DeGarmo was the heart of that band. They've never been the same since he left. They could possibly survive replacing Geoff Tate if they still had DeGarmo but without both, they're done IMO.

DeGarmo was the one who made QR their higher standard in song writing ..... they went down hill with out him.

• Members

That song isn't half bad, especially compared with much of Queensryche's shambolic stuff in the recent past.

Todd La Torre has a very good voice, strongly reminiscent of Tate. He sings in the same register, and this song is right in Tate's key. But it does sound like they're trying just a little too hard to sound like the old singer.

I definitely hear a hint of autotuning, which gets points off. The separated vocal tracks in some sections won't help La Torre sing the lines live, either, but that may be minor. DeGarmo is missed in the solo, as well.

But they get credit for a good effort, at least.

Archived