Trey Anastasio's Guitar Rig

A Happy Crowd

• Members

He is such a fantastic player in my opinion.  I like Phish...but they can get a little.....unfocused....

Personally I think the best thing he's ever done was his solo album Shine.  He cut out all the bull{censored} and just wrote amazingly catchy pop tunes with huge hooks and great guitar solos.  Straight and to the point.  Nothing dragged out or too self indulgent. 

• Members

I have the triple disc New Year's '95 show, and that's all I've really ever heard. My opinion from that disc alone is that they are a great band with absolutely terrible songs. The instrumental jams, while self-indulgent, are quite good, but almost all of the lyrical passages are just bad in my opinion.

That said, I'd be interested in his rig, and his guitar is indeed cool.

• Members

kayd_mon wrote:

almost all of the lyrical passages are just bad in my opinion.

Yeah, that was a big barrier to me "getting into" Phish, too.  It took me a long time to not hate the nonsense lyrics, although I've kind of grown to accept them.  I kind of look at the vocals as just another instrument.  It's more about the sound of the words than the meaning of the words.  I kind of get the humor in it now, too.  Still weird, though.

I recommend Picture of Nectar - a very listenable album and not quit as "out there"

• Members

I'll go back to my live album and I'll check out that one you recommended. Maybe I'm just not in the right frame of mind. I mean, I'll listen to some Zappa and Primus and other stuff with silly lyrics. I do remember loving the groove in the song Punch You in the Eye.

• Members

kayd_mon wrote:

I have the triple disc New Year's '95 show, and that's all I've really ever heard. My opinion from that disc alone is that they are a great band with absolutely terrible songs. The instrumental jams, while self-indulgent, are quite good, but almost all of the lyrical passages are just bad in my opinion.

Yup, the lyrics stink for the most part, but they do kill it in concert.  FWIW, they do killer versions of Something and Fifty Ways to Leave Your Lover, among other covers.

Trey is a hell of a player.  His guitar is a thing of beauty; wish I could afford one like it.

• Members

I worked for the band on and off from the mid 90's right up to their hiatus in the 00's. The sound company I still work for (though we've since been absorbed) toured with them during that whole period. Paul Languedoc, the guy who builds Trey's guitars, also mixed their live shows back then, and spent a good amount of time in our shop. Cool guy, for sure. I saw a great many of their shows and really dug them for awhile. I got burnt out on it though and can barely stand to listen to them now. Anyway, yeah Trey's a hell of a player. I liked his early tone better.

• Members

kayd_mon wrote:

Well...it doesn't help that he's an absolutely terrible singer.  Studio sounds good because they can clean it up but live they are just like the Greatful Dead.  Out of key almost all the time.  Especially the harmoies.

You'd think after so long, one would take some singing lessons. 

Archived