X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pink Floyd "Dark Side of the Moon" 40th Anniversary

http://www.inthestudio.net/redbeards-blog/pink-floyd-dark-side-moon-40th-anniversary/

v

To illustrate how seriously many of the post-British Invasion bands were approaching the rock idiom by April 1973, you need look no further than Pink Floyd

Attached Files
    INTERNET stands for: Inter-connected Network of Tools Endlessly Regurgitating Negatively Energized Tantrums

My Guitars | ... but can he play? | Currently a Gold Trader +6

Use extreme caution when attempting to interact or transact with IndianScout.

I like Floyd. To be honest, I have the Wish You Were Here and Dark Side of the Moon records, and that's about as deep as I went for a long time. I would often spin Dark Side after coming home from a stressful say at work, and I found the album very relaxing. I have recently obtained the rest of their catalog, and I am enjoying the things I'm finding.
    <div class="signaturecontainer"><b>Guitars:</b> 3 Fender Strats, Fender Jazzmaster, Squier Bullet, 2 Gibson Les Pauls, Gibson ES-339, Gibson Les Paul Jr. Special, Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone Dot, Epiphone SG, PRS SE Custom 24, Ibanez AS73, Hamer Duotone, Larrivee D-03R, Takamine EG5013S, 1951 Epiphone Devon, Ibanez SR305 (bass)<br><br><br><br><b>Pedal Chain:</b> BBE Green Screamer -&gt; MXR Distortion III -&gt; Boss CE-5 -&gt; EH Stereo Pulsar -&gt; Boss DD-20 -&gt; BBE Boosta Grande<br><br><br><br><b>Amps:</b> Vox AC4, AC15, AC30, Pathfinder 10, DA5<br><br><br><br><a target="_blank" href="http://soundcloud.com/andrewalderman">SoundCloud</a></div>

Comment

• billybilly
      billybilly commented
      Editing a comment

I love to play along with "great gig in the sky" and play the melody of the singer with my lead.

I have every Floyd album, when I listened to the wall for the first time in it's entirety, around 81 or so, I didn't feel alone anymore.  I guess you could say I am a fan.

• mrbrown49
      mrbrown49 commented
      Editing a comment

I celebrate their entire collection from the early demo's, to Division bell and most of their solo stuff.  Even caught the wall live both times around. 

Amused to Death is one of my all time favorite records.  It's Roger's masterpiece IMO. 

@Dave: I typed "generally" not "generically". I don't think his note selection is generic at all. I think he is a master at getting just the right note at just right time against just the right chord change or interval.
    INTERNET stands for: Inter-connected Network of Tools Endlessly Regurgitating Negatively Energized Tantrums

My Guitars | ... but can he play? | Currently a Gold Trader +6

Use extreme caution when attempting to interact or transact with IndianScout.

Comment

• DaveAronow
      DaveAronow commented
      Editing a comment

Oh, that makes a lot more sense.

I've heard many say that the album to test new stereo equipment on is Dark Side.
    <div class="signaturecontainer"><b>Guitars:</b> 3 Fender Strats, Fender Jazzmaster, Squier Bullet, 2 Gibson Les Pauls, Gibson ES-339, Gibson Les Paul Jr. Special, Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone Dot, Epiphone SG, PRS SE Custom 24, Ibanez AS73, Hamer Duotone, Larrivee D-03R, Takamine EG5013S, 1951 Epiphone Devon, Ibanez SR305 (bass)<br><br><br><br><b>Pedal Chain:</b> BBE Green Screamer -&gt; MXR Distortion III -&gt; Boss CE-5 -&gt; EH Stereo Pulsar -&gt; Boss DD-20 -&gt; BBE Boosta Grande<br><br><br><br><b>Amps:</b> Vox AC4, AC15, AC30, Pathfinder 10, DA5<br><br><br><br><a target="_blank" href="http://soundcloud.com/andrewalderman">SoundCloud</a></div>

Comment

• GreatDane
      GreatDane commented
      Editing a comment

i played this album for my son tonight.  he was generally distracted, so he definitely didn't appreciate it, but there were a few points where he took notice.  "money" got his attention for almost the entire time.  when the sax solo kicks in, he said "daddy, i want to play saxophone" and then the guitar solo came on and he said "no, nevermind, i want to play guitar!" 

I would have melted with pride just for showing any interest in playing an instrument! That is an awesome story!

Comment

GreatDane wrote:
      i don't necessarily hear it, and am not cocky enough to believe it, but my phrasing and playing style has been compared a number of times to Gilmour.  i can't say i've learned his stuff note for note, but i definitely can identify with his use of space in between notes and his generally perfect note choice.

Same here. I wouldn't begin to suggest I'm anywhere near the same league as Gilmour, but I've had more people compare my playing to his more than any other guitarist. Which in some ways is odd. When first learning to play, I was much more directly influenced by Iommi and Blackmore. In later years, when I started migrating more and more away from metal, my style became more Gilmour-esque, but again, not really by design.

Comment

Working...
    X