Why even bother buying a USA PRS?

chimi

• Members

When they are putting out stuff that looks as amazing as this for much much less?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-PRS-Tremonti-SE-Custom-Electric-Guitar-Trem-Paul-Reed-Smith-Deluxe-Gig-Bag-/221206782643?rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D163%26meid%3D6691807234009118894%26pid%3D100005%26prg%3D1088%26rk%3D4%26sd%3D221207579814%26

Seems like every year they up the bar on the quality for the price. And this year's versions look like they've done it again

• Members

That does look pretty, but is it a real flame/quilt top or just a photo flame like some cheaper Ibanez and such guitars have? If that's a real carved maple top and not a photo or cheap thin veneer, then that looks like a smoking guitar for the price. 

Of course you have to factor in that PRS American models are INCREDIBLY overpriced for what you get, so I guess it isn't too hard to figure they can afford to give away some nice appointments on their import lines when suckers are going to pay as much as they do for an American made PRSs compared to a US Strat or Les Paul.

• Members

Matt300ZXT wrote:

Of course you have to factor in that PRS American models are INCREDIBLY overpriced for what you get, so I guess it isn't too hard to figure they can afford to give away some nice appointments on their import lines when suckers are going to pay as much as they do for an American made PRSs compared to a US Strat or Les Paul.

The whole point of an American made PRS is that it

• Members

Considering that a $3,600 PRS will go toe-to-toe with a $6,000 Gibson and will win on quality control alone (according to a Guitar Player review from a couple of years ago, too lazy to look it up), the whole "PRS is overpriced" line is complete and utter bull{censored}. 

PRS is showing up in the hands of more and more players for one simple reason: they make a sweet guitar and their quality control is on par with any other guitar maker out there.  I'll accept personal taste for why some players don't like playing them, but PRS guitars are worth every penny.

As far as the SE vs. USA line, the SE's are fine guitars for the price.  But, like G&L's Tribute line or MiM Fenders, they don't hold a candle to the real thing.

• Members

Alecto wrote:

Considering that a $3,600 PRS will go toe-to-toe with a $6,000 Gibson and will win on quality control alone (according to a
Guitar Player
review from a couple of years ago, too lazy to look it up), the whole "PRS is overpriced" line is complete and utter bull{censored}. 

PRS is showing up in the hands of more and more players for one simple reason: they make a sweet guitar and their quality control is on par with any other guitar maker out there.  I'll accept personal taste for why some players don't like playing them, but PRS guitars are worth every penny.

As far as the SE vs. USA line, the SE's are fine guitars for the price.  But, like G&L's Tribute line or MiM Fenders, they don't hold a candle to the real thing.

I second the above!

• Members

chimi wrote:

When they are putting out stuff that looks as amazing as this for much much less?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-PRS-Tremonti-SE-Custom-Electric-Guitar-Trem-Paul-Reed-Smith-Deluxe-Gig-Bag-/221206782643?rt=nc&\_trksid=p2047675.m1851&\_trkparms=aid\%3D222002\%26algo\%3DSIC.FIT\%26ao\%3D1\%26asc\%3D163\%26meid\%3D6691807234009118894\%26pid\%3D100005\%26prg\%3D1088\%26rk\%3D4\%26sd\%3D221207579814\%26

Seems like every year they up the bar on the quality for the price. And this year's versions look like they've done it again

Nice, UNTIL you were to hold it up side by side to a non SE PRS.....then the higher quality of the woods/parts become very apparent as seen below. But SE's are getting snazzier fer sure. The biggest drawback for me with most SE's I've had or tried, was the neck felt like you were holding a piece of PVC! a strange, slicked up plasticlike feel with heaps of clear finish ...Not an organic feel like the PRS main line.

$T2eC16d,!zcE9s4g3hbYBRN7B4ntCg~~60\_1.jpg

• Members

i got my son that exact same guitar the other day, a Tremonti Custom in blue(see seperate thread). It is seriously nice, probably one of the easiest guitars i have ever played. The difference between the SE line and the Maryland made guitars are getting closer every year, but the SE just isn't the peace of mind gigging/recording guitar that a serious muso would want to rely on day in day out. But for joe average that plays at home, the SE is an amazing quality guitar. 

• Members

@wankedplank

Ever since I've been here, modern Japanese versions of anything get an extra boost of respect. The reason usually given is quality or quality control, but a lot of it is subjective. I just enjoy checking out guitars, so that discussion os merey academic for me.

Back to the OP - the PRS SE line is awesome. I've liked everything I've played. Still want a USA PRS, even though my SE Custom 24 does the job well enough.

• Members

I don't own one, but one good reason is that I've really enjoyed playing every USA PRS I've gotten my hands on - they looked great, sounded great and played great.  Isn't that reason enough?  If they'd offer stainless steel frets by default I'd be really tempted.  Another reason is to support US industry, though obviously if you don't care about the guitar it's a huge price difference to swallow, and I wouldn't expect that to be a deciding factor for anyone.  It is a nice bonus - if all things were equal (or close) I'd rather buy a USA-made product.  Some of the SEs also have a "maple veneer" not a thick piece of maple as a cap.  If you want that high end sparkle of a maple top, that might be a reason as well.

SEs are nice guitars, too, but I don't get this knock on USA PRSs.  Every one I've played has been stellar.  Expensive, sure, but so are a lot of things.  Prices are relative - when I was 25, everything was a bigger chunk of my income.  When I was 35, not as much.  Now that I have a kid, I have no money for anything. :)

Related, I have seen a ton of Custom 24s really cheap used.  People talk about Carvins losing their value, but I've seen a lot more PRSs going for a lot less than new than Carvins.

• Members

genesis3 wrote:

chimi wrote:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-PRS-Tremonti-SE-Custom-Electric-Guitar-Trem-Paul-Reed-Smith-Deluxe-Gig-Bag-/221206782643?rt=nc&\_trksid=p2047675.m1851&\_trkparms=aid\%3D222002\%26algo\%3DSIC.FIT\%26ao\%3D1\%26asc\%3D163\%26meid\%3D6691807234009118894\%26pid\%3D100005\%26prg\%3D1088\%26rk\%3D4\%26sd\%3D221207579814\%26

Nice, UNTIL you were to hold it up side by side to a non SE PRS.....then the higher quality of the woods/parts become very apparent as seen below. But SE's are getting snazzier fer sure. The biggest drawback for me with most SE's I've had or tried, was the neck felt like you were holding a piece of PVC! a strange, slicked up plasticlike feel with heaps of clear finish ...Not an organic feel like the PRS main line.

$T2eC16d,!zcE9s4g3hbYBRN7B4ntCg~~60\_1.jpg

That's funny because the thing I personally REALLY don't like about the US PRS...is the thick plasticy poly they use. 

• Members

prs has been a strange brand for me... i was never a fan of their USA guitars... apart from the mira and something in plain black... that's changed for me lately though... they've really grown on me... to the point that i could see myself with one in the future

• Members

Alecto wrote:

Considering that a $3,600 PRS will go toe-to-toe with a $6,000 Gibson and will win on quality control alone (according to a
Guitar Player
review from a couple of years ago, too lazy to look it up), the whole "PRS is overpriced" line is complete and utter bull{censored}. 

That $6,000 Gibson is even more overpriced...

There are severe diminishing returns on function of a guitar above the $500 price point, and it just gets more severe on up. Anything that costs $2,000 is severely overpriced if you're paying for function. If you're paying for collector value or pedigree or pure gold hardware or whatever, so be it. But if you're valuing the guitar based on performance and functional ability alone, yes, the price points are ridiculous.

Archived