Gibson Robot: Planned obsolescence or does it have a future?

SaintJames

• Members

So I'm kinda GASing for the Les Paul Limited Studio with auto-tuning and "chameleon" technology. But what happens in a few years when the motors and electronics fail? This happens all the time with our househould appliances and electronic gizmos and we usually just chuck them and buy another, usually new and improved version. I'd hate to have my Les Paul rendered useless when replacement parts are no longer available. Am I wrong here or does Gibson plan on supporting these?

• Members

I've had a robot  since September 2009 and it still works fine. $750 for a new silverburst SG with ebony board  is still  a really good deal and if the robotics break I'll just throw normal tuners on it. i don't know if they'll fit straight up but I'm sure most techs can do it pretty easily. 

• Members

I had a Robot Sg Special 2008...it was nice....I sold it because I was afraid of owning it when it finally does stop working. I changed strings and unhooked the bridge and then couldn't get it to work after that, Gibson fixed it for me under warranty which was nice because It was my own fault, in fact they set up the guitar, replaced a screw and put new strings..Really a big +1 for Gibson Customer service. But bottom line I was afraid of the future since they were no longer being made. I traded it for a guitar worth more too, so it worked out. But again...nice guitar.

Archived