Been digging the Schuffman amp sim

BydoEmpire

• Members

I've been testing out the 15 day trial, and I'm really impressed so far, especially for the price ($100 for 3 amps and some effects).  I'm still trying to work though the somewhat harsh high end, which I've found in a lot of amp sims and modellers, but I think with more time and experimentation I can get it right.  I love how their models clean up with my volume knob and picking attack - very responsive.  Overall sound quality is excellent.  Their "room thing" verb plugin is a blast to play with.  I also really like that it's a standalone app, as well as a plugin so I don't always have to fire up Logic just to practice or play around.

I was seriously thinking about buying a Kemper, but for $100, I think this will satisfy my 'variety' itch for a while.

http://www.scuffhamamps.com/product/the-amps  

And to stay on topic, since this is the EG forums...

Crazy Guitar

• Members

I got a chance to try out demos of Guitar Rig 5 and Amplitude 3 this weekend, in addition to S-Gear.  Only maybe an hour or two total, so not really able to dig in too deep but enough to get a good impression.  I think the S-Gear amps sound the best.  GR5 is next, and Amplitude just didn't click with me.  It wasn't bad by any stretch - certainly leagues above Logic 7's - and the clean Fender model sounded great.  In S-Gear and GR5 I could easily dial my way out of obnoxious, ear-splitting treble, but just couldn't get it with Amplitude.  I really liked the tone and character of the three S-Gear amps - familiar but unique, with each amp having TONS of diversity.  GR5 just has boatloads of options, so it pretty much covers every base.  I loved how easy it was to run two rigs in stereo as well - that was cool as heck.  Didn't notice a huge difference in "feel" or lag between any of them.  GR5 did start breaking up on me at one point - I had to stop some other stuff running, sit for a minute, and then let it go.  I think it's on the cusp of what my system can handle.

As for the demos, S-Gear gives you 15 days to do whatever you want.  GR5 gives you everything, but it only runs for 30 minutes, then shuts down.  Amplitude gives you unlimited use, but only two Fender models and one Marshall, so you can't really poke around and see what it offers.

Now I need to decide if the extra money for GR5 is worth all the extra options (effects, amp models, etc), or if I'm better off with a simpler setup. Sometimes I can get lost in too many options and it's almost a negative.  Kind of leaning towards GR5, though.  The variety is tempting.

Archived