Some advice on a bedroom volume modelling amp?

danswon

• Members

As i'm not currently in a band *sob* I am really missing jamming through an amp. My only other amps are too big and loud. I'm looking for the best value in a low-watt amp and I'm mainly interested in the newer modelling amps. eg. Vox Valvetronic (or whatever it's called now), Peavey Vypyr, Fender Mustang, that sort of thing.

20 or lower watts should do. I'm mainly interested in sounds from classic rock to metal, I guess I favour the kind of midrangey hard rock lead tones of the 70s/80s/90s

• Members

Yamaha THR10. Fits the bill from what you describe. You'll be amazed at the sound of it at low volume. If all you need from is the actual amp, the THR5 is smaller even (cool!) and sounds just about the same as the THR10. The 10 has the edge for recording options and the ability to save five presets. Otherwise the 5 performs like a 10 (same wattage, same speakers). THR10 comes now in new flavors (and colors) for particular styles.

Mustang are good also but bigger and louder, especially the better M2 and M3. The M1 isn't particularily great but you might like it and it's dirt cheap.

I hear only good things about the Valvetronic. I'd like to try one.

• Members

Do you have an Ipad or Iphone?  Free Line 6 Mobile In app (needs 30 pin cable - $60) works great.  A ton of amps, cabs and effects (up to 4 before the amp and up to 4 after).  There is also a thousands of downloadable patches already made on their website.

Anyway... nothing beats a headset in a bedroom (keeps the Mrs. happy)

• Members

I've used a PODxt Live for years for practicing. I'd either use headphones or run it through my PC using USB and getting output from my Logitech speakers. Then I also gigged with it. I'm actually picking up a used POD X3 Live today to replace it.

• Members

@GilmourD

While I never used the XT, I have and love the X3. I went from the 2.0 bean with 4-button footswitch to the X3 Live. Happy modeling for me! Would love to try the HD, but I can't see the price being worth it to me, as I like the X3 so much for the same applications. Easy to use as an interface for Garageband, also (if you have a Mac).

• Members

I've had a few (fender mustang, vox valvetronic, roland cube, marshall mg,  line 6) and like the cube and the mustang the best.  I stilll would go with a mustang II and cube 40xl though for they both sound bigger at lower volumes compared to their lower watt counterparts.  SS amps don't need to be turned up to sound good, for the most part.  The cube can sound a bit dry for some but it is very clear and clean.  The mustang is slightly coloured in comparison and not as tight, still good though.  I've heard good things about those yamaha thr's but would like the option of more volume personally.

You'll have to try them though, tone is very subjective.

Archived