xPost: Designed a new guitar, now I'm going to protect it

BeeTL

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

One of the better Tele style narrow headstock designs I've seen (not that I've seen many). Keep it up. Hope all the legal stuff goes smoothly.

Reminds me of a whale, a hungry whale. Seems like an "active" design without being in your face.

• Members

it looks ok but you cant patent a shape, copyright it perhaps but not patent.

"A patent is a set of exclusive rights granted by a state to an inventor or his assignee for a limited period of time in exchange for a disclosure of an invention."

BTW by releasing drawings and designs before the granting of a provisional patent you are working against the application

• Members

"A patent is a set of exclusive rights granted by a state to an inventor or his assignee for a limited period of time in exchange for a disclosure of an invention."

BTW by releasing drawings and designs before the granting of a provisional patent you are working against the application

Agreed. Some might argue that posting the design on a publicly accessible internet forum constitutes disclosure/publication of the design.

• Members

You know what people who are trying to trademark or patent things don't do? Post their ideas along with detailed mock-ups on public forums. Just a tip...

Plus, let's face it. The design is kind of generic anyway. You basically ripped off a Jazzmaster.

• Members

it's beautiful, man. i'd love one.

but....does anyone else see the irony in here? "designed it...GOING TO protect it (as in, "haven't done it yet).....post the design with exact dimensions on anonymous internet forum"

:D

....don't worry...i'm not stealing a thing. not my style...just seems a little funny is all.

for the record: beautiful. i'd want one.

• Members

My 2 cents.

I think the body is pretty good, but the head stock is not.

Maybe if it looked a little more like a sharks mouths, less round in the pocket and more angeled, like the negative space around the horn on the top of the body.

Just one guys opinion.

Good luck with your project. :thu:

• Members

That's incorrect, the OP's attorney is correct in pursuing a design patent.

However the OP should consider registering his copyright in the work as well; the more layers of protection available (if it becomes a smashing commercial success in need of protection) the better and that avenue is certainly available.

• Members

If you don't mind me asking, what fees did you entail in this venture? I have a few body ideas, one almost complete, that I have considered copyrighting/whatever. And your design is Really Cool. One of the better looking teles out there.

Archived