Best "Hybrid" Amp?

Dougy

• Members

Here's my Musicman 65 210. It's a '74 and all I've ever done to it is replace the tubes once-last year. Tube pre and SS power, insanely loud and weighs as much as a small car. I'm sure there are better sounding new hybrids out there, but they will all be "hazardous waste" long before this pioneer dies!DSC03500.jpg

• Members

I'd think that an amp with a SS pre and tube power section would be better. Are there many like that? I mean, I know that Valvetronix amps use a 12ax7 in the power section, but that's not what I mean - I mean an el84 power section, or something like that.

• Members

kayd\_mon wrote:

I'd think that an amp with a SS pre and tube power section would be better. Are there many like that? I mean, I know that Valvetronix amps use a 12ax7 in the power section, but that's not what I mean - I mean an el84 power section, or something like that.

I had a Peavey Duece 2X12. SS pre with 4X 6L6 power. Great sounding amp. Peavey's answer to the Fender Twin. Weighted about 100lbs. My favorite new hybrid is the Orange Micro Terror. 1X12aX7 and twenty watts.

IM000751.JPG

• Members

All of the Musicman amps have a SS pre and tube power section. Patuney has it backwards there. The older ones have tube inverters as well, which sometimes get confused for preamp tubes. The thing with that design is that the distortion you get from overdriving the preamp is not all that pleasant. However you can get great clean tones with headroom for days. And they take pedals very well. Despite many of them being EL34 based amps, they sound very much like blackface Fenders. They get my vote for best hybrid. My HD130 has been a very reliable and useful amp.

Honorable mention goes to the Trace Elliot Tube Tramp, which uses a 12ax7 for its distortion.

• Members

Both the hybrids I currently have I like.  I think the over all better amp for ease of use, features,  and tone is my li'l Super Champ XD.  It's my go-to for church gigs.

s

However, at 15W with a 10" speaker it's underpowered for use with drums.  In those situations I line out to a second, bigger amp in the backline, and use the SCXD as close monitor:

sc

I recently picked up a Vox AD30VT-XL for cheap on craigslist.  It's got 30W, although still only a 1x10.  With modeling of more high-gain/hard rock amps than the standard Vox Valvetronic line.

Also has a nice feature on the back, a radial control where you can vary the wattage output from 30W downward.  I think with the wattage cranked to max it could probably hold its own with a drummer in a small space, though for larger it'd need to be mic'd too.

vox

• Members

kayd_mon wrote:

most of the early hybrids were that way. My 2nd Carvin amp, VT2800, which I bougt new in the 70s had 4xEL34s, a 12AT7 PI tube and a SS preamp. The original Peavey classics were tube power/SS preamp. As were Legend and Tusc, I believe. I prefer tube preamp personally.

• Members

I used to have a Kustom Studio 6 Valve, which had a SS pre-amp into a six-6L6 valve power amp(150 watts) and through a massive 15" speaker.  It was a combo amp in a solid oak cabinet, VERY LOUD, ear-bleeding cleans, back breaking weight.  They were made in the late 70s-early '80s, and pretty rare.  Great sounding amps if you can find one, and if you don't break your back lugging it around.  I wish I had kept it.

Kustom Studio 6 Valveback

• Members

jpnyc wrote:

I'm surprised nobody has made a high gain lunchbox amp that has a tube preamp and solid state power amp. Bedroom players and studio musicians would eat those up.

It does seem facepalmingly obvious....

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

kayd_mon wrote:

Someone must have {censored} in benzem's cheerios this morning.

Haha! Well, if by merely trying to define a hybrid amp...as was the THREAD, you take it that way fine.

Sorry I was compelled to pass on my knowledge and define the thread topic. Shame on me! I shoulda just let the misinformation flow! Laid back and be cool with those not in the know delelop misguided info and opinions based on what they read on the internet!

• Members

I was only commenting on the fact that you told a guy '{censored} you.' I supposed that you would have to be in a severely foul mood in order to say that, and I speculated that you breakfast cereal had been unceremoniously tainted by someone else's defecation. I could, of course, be wrong. I was also under the impression that any amp that uses both tubes and other means of amplification would therefore render it a hybrid of those two technologies. Again, I could be wrong there, too. My contribution to the discussion was inquiring about SS preamps and tune power sections.

• Members

Oh, please, I used to do van tours at punk clubs ... "{censored} you" is damn near "good morning!" to me.

I'm just saying I interpreted it differently.  And of COURSE i sound bitchy - I'm a bitch!  That's how the {censored} that works, eh?  Hahahahhahaha ...

.... OTOH, as usual, Brian gets a good question out there: Whattya wanna call the faux-hybrids?  "Fauxbrids?"  Either way, the ValveState sucks IMHO and the ADVT30 (or whatever it is we bought, Brian, I also don't care about model names that are strings of characters longer than, say, AC30 ...)?

We now go back to our regularly scheduled program of know-more-than-you and hypersensitivity.

Archived