Recommend telecaster pickup sized humbucker?

twotimingpete

• Members

I'm thinking I might want to try a humbucker in my tele. I'm not necessarily looking for anything balls wild, I'm a fan of the sort of traditional, warm, articulate sounds of PAF style pickups. Some of my favorite humbuckers were Burstbucker Pros.

I tried a duncan "little 59" in the past, which is nice, but despite its description it really seemed to me to be emulating a spanky telecaster tone rather than a PAF tone.

Any recommendations?

• Members

I assume we're talking about the bridge pickup in which case I would think no matter what you out in there it will retain the basic tele spank. Between the bridge design itself and the pickup being angled to emphasize the highs I don't think there's anyway around it short of re-routing for a standard humbucker and putting n a hardtail bridge.

• Members

Kit_strong is correct. A buddy of mine tinkers with his Tele often, and the bridge design does contribute to the spank considerably. He's put rails of all sorts in there. Great tones, but not LP tones. Gotta separate the pickup from all that metal to reduce the twang, really.

• Members

Well, the GE Smith Tele still has a Tele pickup, pickup angle, and scale. Not having the full metal bridge would decrease the spank I'd imagine, but even then it would have much of the Tele tone ingredients.

If you retain the metal bridge and mount a humbucker, you'll get spank aplenty, albeit with a bit more fullness. If you lose the bridge and gain the humbucker, then only the scale will twang, and you'll be closer to LP tones.

Archived