ebay guitar is lemon: what do you do?

niceguy

• Members

I bought a guitar on ebay which was listed as mint.

Once I got it, I quickly discovered the guitar is a lemon.  There are some imperfections on it which, if were pictured, I'd not have bought it.

More importantly, if I in turn sold this guitar on ebay, I'd feel compelled to point out those imperfections.  If I sold it on ebay without mentioning them, I honestly would feel that a buyer would be justified in being pissed off.

Then again, I'm more discerning about guitars than average.

What would you do?

• Members

niceguy wrote:

I bought a guitar on ebay which was listed as mint.

Once I got it, I quickly discovered the guitar is a lemon.  There are some imperfections on it which, if were pictured, I'd not have bought it.

More importantly, if I in turn sold this guitar on ebay, I'd feel compelled to point out those imperfections.  If I sold it on ebay without mentioning them, I honestly would feel that a buyer would be justified in being pissed off.

Then again, I'm more discerning about guitars than average.

What would you do?

if it bothers you that much, then contact the seller and politely but directly explain the situation and request a refund.  take pictures and send them along with your response.  do this immediately.  if he/she doesn't honor your request for a complete refund, then open a dispute through eBay/Paypal.  recontact the seller and politely indicate that you will escalate to a claim if the seller doesn't honor a refund.  if the seller still doesn't honor a refund, then wait the 10 days and escalate to a claim.  follow the instructions to a tee.  be polite throughout.  you will get your money back.

the key is to immediately make contact with documented proof and be polite at all times.

• Members

Thanks, everyone!

Dane, that's priceless advice and if I decide to do so, I'll seek recourse thru ebay using your methods.

The guitar has a sloppy finish, with spots actually missing.  These flaws were conveniently not pictured in the auction.

There is a dried up splash of something on the fretboard---it cannot be removed, so it's likely glue.

And the frets are cut like absolute {censored}.  It was like a drunk intern on coke built this guitar.  No, there's no broken neck, no gouges, no broken electronics, so that's why I haven't done anything about it yet.  But if I were to sell this on ebay, I'd feel dishonest if I didn't mention the deficiencies.

• Members

niceguy wrote:

The guitar has a sloppy finish, with spots actually missing.  These flaws were conveniently not pictured in the auction.

There is a dried up splash of something on the fretboard---it cannot be removed, so it's likely glue.

And the frets are cut like absolute {censored}.  It was like a drunk intern on coke built this guitar. 

Sounds pretty much like a typical Gibson.

Archived